Nick M

Re: Zeitgeist - s/c and galloping ghost

Post by Nick M »

This the tailplane

Two versions

Lightweight with thin c/f on leading edge to stop rubber band cutting in

Beefed up version has a c/f spar which hugely improves rigidity
WIN_20201114_12_18_29_Pro.jpg
This the tail end - c/f pushrods - fin has a short section of c/f that goes up about third of the fin and down through the top and bottom of the fuz

I should add that the laser cut missed off the front l/e of the fin - hence a slightly less attractive shape!
WIN_20201114_12_19_09_Pro.jpg

With tail (and no rubber bands)
WIN_20201114_12_19_54_Pro.jpg

Lightweight servos / Fr Sky clone rx / 200mah lipo

That's pretty much it

I forgot to say on the pictures of the 3 x fuz that of the two that weigh 60g one has no servos and a cf strip the length of the underside - I set it up as a pitcheron experiment

Just need a hill / time off / good weather - at the same time...
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

"The LCD panel is pretty poor - and only hardened users know from memory what the options are!"
Probably a (relatively) simple component change that you could do after making an even lower offer !

"Biggest problem is that it keeps not being recognised by the USB port - you set it all up then file doesn't go across"
IT problem; I expect the PC Operating System has been updated several times but the laser never has - The laser cutter OEM installation files should still be available somewhere. If not locally, then from laser manufacturer's website. Your IT gnome should be able to reinstall the correct drivers to overcome that problem.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Great approach - my problem is that London accommodation not big enough for a building board let alone a laser cutter (that's my kitchen table in photos and explains why no balsa)

The bed area is 800 x 400 which is pretty big

Just possible it may be available to a good home if you can collect it (and best to offer to make a notional donation to one of the school charities)

If anyone interested I can make a request (answer may be no!)

It works very well with exceptions mentioned
Martin

Post by Martin »

I'm interested. I could most likely fix up the faulty parts. I assume it's small enough to fit in the back of a hatchback car?

What sort of "notional" donation do you think they might accept? Fifty quid? Or is that way too low?
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

I'll measure it - thinking that it is too big for an estate - it's in SE21 (just off south circular)

I think £50 would probably do it - they like things that go on to be used not in landfill (as do I)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Thanks. If they accept, I can drive down to pick it up. If it's too big to fit in my fairly small hatchback, I can hire a van for the day.
Ian_D

Post by Ian_D »

Hi - I've just joined and spotted this post. This was my first RC glider around 1975 - and reintroduced me to sloping in 1990. It survived well until my son over did it on a loop and folded the wings. Nice to see it wasn't just me that had one! I recently brought the RM magazine article and wondered if I fancied building another. Lovely to fly on alight day on the slope. I put on a much larger rudder and flew it with a Waltron 4-5 set.
Zeitgeist.jpg
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Maybe a good subject for a Mode-Zero mass build. Even if 'e' versions and floppy bits on the back end of the tailplanes are allowed? Just saying! :D
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Great to see another one!

Really big around the Stroud (Cotswolds) are in the 70s!

Flew it in the 80s with brushed motor on a power pod - we moved to an area with no soarable hills

Somewhere between an Impala (stronger conditions) and an Amigo (Lighter). It's pretty robust

I fly it on s/c until landing when I cheat as often on a spine backed ridge

Doesn't seem to zoom post turn - 40 yr old balsa one is still my preferred glider on a normal soaring day - depron was for fun and no room to sand balsa in a London house...
Ian_D

Post by Ian_D »

Mine in the photo ended up with ply doublers on the outside of the fuz under the wing and more a the tail...well, I was 14 and learning! But it still flew nicely in the '90s. Totally irrationally, but I'm seriously considering making another! As if I don't have enough gliders...or can you ever?