Graupner Flip

They stay up by magic!
glyn

Graupner Flip

Post by glyn »

Hi
On my “to do list” is the Graupner Flip, ever since I saw it in Aeromodeller Jan 1966. This is my rendition of it using modern radio gear... and it’s still heavier than the Fred Militky original. I think he must have been a bit of a wiz...

DC6EAEA9-1C16-4116-8386-4F4F0C766F4B.jpg

24F49FD0-D5EC-4322-9E27-9877CE8D7F3C.jpg
Last edited by glyn on 18 Dec 2020, 19:39, edited 2 times in total.
tiptipflyer

Re: Graupner Flip

Post by tiptipflyer »

Fantastic Glyn,
I had several of those when I was a kid.
Great memorys.

Frank
glyn

Post by glyn »

That's nice to hear Frank. I've never seen an original, looks like they were a typical great quality Graupner product. I just couldn't believe how Fred could possibly make radio gear for it ... amazing! I wanted one so much when I was a lad. Fifty four years later I've got one and the servos were only £3.60p each. That's amazing too!
Cheers.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Very well done Glynn
...mmm
I need to dig in to my micro micro box and see what I have there...if I remember right I should have an original Filp hiding in one of my boxes in the darkest corner of the house.
I had the opportunity in 2002 to play with the first "proportional" magnetic actuator as I designed a few kits for them and we used them with 3 cells NiMh110 mA before we got access to the first LiPo.
Attachments
oz-2,0.JPG
oz-1,0.JPG
Papertube-with.JPG
oz-4,0.JPG
oz-3,0.JPG
Micro 2.jpg
Micro 1.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
glyn

Post by glyn »

Wow Tobe I’ve got one of those little racers and the magnetic actuators as well. It is a good model. Did you design it? Great flyer.
I can’t remember who made the radio gear... was it Plantanco?
It’s easier to get batteries now I’ll have to give it another go.
Well done if you were involved in the kits...
4FC4F919-0BFD-4F76-8C4B-D630C3FD4A39.jpeg
Last edited by glyn on 28 Dec 2020, 11:43, edited 1 time in total.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

The equipment you see in my pictures were pre-Plantraco...Clerence Hurd's RFFS-100 micro light RC system and was actually running with regular Tx as Plantraco used 433 MHz and made a full system.
rffs100.jpg
The Shoestring you see in my picture was a beta build and I should have in my hides a few more "beta" builds and originals.
When all this and some more happened I lived in Florida and had in my circle of friends many interesting chaps that had in common an experimenting inquisitor and challenging mind. Glynn, you are bringing me to memory lane...in those days I was the young kiddo
At that time, early 2000, I had one of the early laser cutter so I used to to do a lot of prototyping...and so much new things were on it's way in electronic, batteries, electric etc. so it was possible to make smaller models reliable. All this allowed me to even fly R/C with CO2 motors.
I would say that what triggered this evolution was the small Hitech servos and the GWS Rx. In the pictures you are able to see some early Mini/Micro R/C possible not the least of the development of electric motors.
The Spitfire was almost fullhouse...the rudder was coupled to aileron which was a necessity to be be able to control it.
Many of this models like the Spitfire was possible to build thanks that all parts were laser cut as they were so small and cutting by hand would have been almost impossible.
Attachments
Inn01.JPG
Inn03.JPG
Inn02.JPG
Inn07.JPG
Inn11.JPG
Inn10.JPG
Inn09.JPG
Inn08.JPG
Inn04.JPG
Inn06.JPG
Inn05.JPG
co202.JPG
co201.JPG
co203.JPG
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Looks like some WesTechnics linear servos and carbon props in there too Tobe? Also spotted a copy of Microflight - I corresponded with a number of their regular contributors when I was writing WIW - Wayne's Indoor World - on the EZone circa 1996 - 2001

Small World!?! ;) :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

You are right, to what I remember most of the equipment in the Jodel should be WES....but not the prop!
I borrowed some of their carbon fiber props from a friend and made molds for my personsl needs as they were ridiculous expensive.
MicroFlight was a good short lived magazine.
Cheers,

Tobe