Foam Board Fun - the A.S.A

They stay up by magic!
Wayne_H

Foam Board Fun - the A.S.A

Post by Wayne_H »

As reported in my post on the Half Tone (viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1276&p=10831#p10831), I'd come across some cheap foam board sheets at a local arts & craft shop here in NZ.
choice of colours
choice of colours
NZ$2 per sheet - cheap as bro!!
NZ$2 per sheet - cheap as bro!!
not your average "structural" building materials!
not your average "structural" building materials!
Before progressing too far with the Half Tone build, I thought it prudent to knock up something cheap 'n cheerful to test out the materials and hot glue I was intending to use on the Half Tone

To keep it As Simple As possible and to a maximum of 2 sheets of foam, a "flat plate" - i.e. no aerofoil - flying wing was the identified quick solution. It was drawn directly onto the foam board, cut up & is currently being stuck together. Localised reinforcement was added using bamboo marshmallow skewers for the mainspar and for leading edge protection.

First "challenge" identified - the LE was too greater length to enable the hot glue to be added then the bamboo LE fitted and then the whole lot held down while the glue cooled. To salvage the first attempt, I placed the wing half onto a piece of grease-proof baking paper, all held down onto a steel shelf with strong magnets.
first attempt using hot-melt glue
first attempt using hot-melt glue
I then used a hair dryer to re-soften the hot glue in roughly 200-250mm sections, then folded the baking paper back over the bamboo and pulled it all as tight as I could - it all actually worked better than I expected :shock: . On the other wing half, I used PVA wood glue (also from the same craft shop) to attach the LE - again, I wrapped the baking paper around the LE, pulled the baking paper tight and held it together with the magnets while the PVA dried. Slower, but a better structural and aesthetic outcome.
magnets holding the assembly to the steel "building board"
magnets holding the assembly to the steel "building board"
Thinner bamboo skewers were for the tip fin LE's.
3mm bamboo skewers attached to the Fin leading edge with hot glue. Red line is where the coloured tape will stop (board thickness + a 5mm fillet)
3mm bamboo skewers attached to the Fin leading edge with hot glue. Red line is where the coloured tape will stop (board thickness + a 5mm fillet)
More as construction progresses.............
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Re: Foam Board Fun - the A.S.A

Post by Wayne_H »

A bit more progress....
  • Tip fins finished & decorated with coloured tape, ready for attachment to the wing tips.
the yellow on the outside is to improve the lateral contrast
the yellow on the outside is to improve the lateral contrast
red tip goes on the left and blue is the right tip. Unfortunately, I only have 2" wide red tape and 1" wide blue tape
red tip goes on the left and blue is the right tip. Unfortunately, I only have 2" wide red tape and 1" wide blue tape
  • Elevons cut - will hinge them later
  • Bamboo reinforced LE's wrapped with fibre reinforced tape. This was then covered with a layer of coloured tape to provide some UV protection to the fibre tape underneath. This is a trick I learnt the hard way :( .
fibre-tape on LE.jpg
  • Both wing halves joined, then the first wing spar was cut in, glued and covered with fibre reinforced tape. This will also be covered with a layer of coloured tape to provide some UV protection
the wing was kept flat on the steel shelf building board using the magnets
the wing was kept flat on the steel shelf building board using the magnets
1st_wing_Spar-2.jpg
More red, blue and yellow tape will be added.

I'm now considering incorporating a small fuselage to mount a pusher e-motor + battery + ESC, and for a convenient launch "handle".
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Re: Foam Board Fun - the A.S.A

Post by bluejets »

Not too heavy......??