More Lidl Wing sloping at Baildon Moor

They stay up by magic!
Phil_G

More Lidl Wing sloping at Baildon Moor

Post by Phil_G »

12 - 14 mph Westerly at Baildon today, just me & Neil, Shaun got his dates wrong so missed out :-)
A brilliant day slope soaring with the Lidl Wing, SAS Wildthing & Neils Jet Stream I think its called.
There was fair slope lift but occasionally there would be a massive thermal and the Lidl Wing would spec out, at one point I did briefly lose sight of it, it was so high. No problems whatsoever with the NRF FHSS radio at this extreme range of course :D
Excellent fish & chips as usual from Websters in Baildon village. Pule is a much better slope, but no chippy so what do you do? :-)
(actually we did find a really nice chippy nearby, Marsden Fisheries on Peel Street, highly recommended)

Wayne_H

Re: More Lidl Wing sloping at Baildon Moor

Post by Wayne_H »

Phil, I do like the high tec canopy hold down :P. Too much fun I think, and all done with only 1/2 a Tx :shock:

Surely that means you could fly with one hand & eat your chippies with the other??? :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Joking apart Wayne its great for one-handed flying when you're shielding the sun with the other... and holding a camera with your teeth :D
I have a confession that might make you smile... the canopy was neatly mounted with magnets, very tidy, but just like during the Blunderbird Pylon Race, I looked away for a moment and then started flying the wrong model - we found mine 100 yds downwind with the front-end broken off and the canopy magnets gone :D It was lashed back together with red insulating tape for the video! All fixed now (if the Por has dried, sometimes it takes ages inside foam)
Wayne_H wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 03:08 Phil, I do like the high tec canopy hold down :lol:
After the flying-the-wrong-model whoopsie, the front-end was completely broken off and canopy mounts & magnets all gone.
This was before I'd got the camera out, so for the video it was held together with red insulating tape, and as Wayne spotted, a rubber band!
All fixed up now, looking pretty again and good to go :-)

Hangsegler

Post by Hangsegler »

To have more stability in the snout/rump tip. Let's melt
it with a hot piston from the center outwards to free up space for RC.
Hangsegler

Post by Hangsegler »

IMG_20240318_154304.jpg
IMG_20240318_154329.jpg
IMG_20240318_154350.jpg

I have resized your pictures to be below 1MiB, Cheers/Tobe
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Phil & I went to Baildon yesterday.
Epic fish and chips with a jam rolypoly before braving the 35-40 mph draught. The little Piglet handled it well until it reminded me of a repair I needed to do. The elevator horn let loose, tent pegged the fortunately soft earth at Mach 1 and removed the tail. Also a little damage to the wing centre section because I used a metal bolt and forgot to replace it with a nylon one. It's a tough little bugger. Back to Phil's command module for copious tea and diabetes causing chocolate cookies. I hour in the workshop today and it's good to break again.

Great day. :) :)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Yes it was a bit blustery, hard to stand at times!
And I'd left my Wildy switched on since Nont Sarahs last week so the battery was completely dead.
Had a few good flights with the Little V (though the wind was way beyond its comfort zone).
However I also took my Meshtastic node, since Baildon is quite a good RF location - meshing and
sloping are two compatible hobbies!
Meshtastic users are not all hams, and so you can meet all sorts of people. Like this:

baildonmeshtastic.jpg

:D
Stew

Post by Stew »

Does there exist a 'how to' for LiDL conversions?
I'm not experienced with foam, so things like glues to use, where to mount a motor, how to hinge, strengthening, etc etc.

I have one tucked away I'm itching to get flown.

Stew.