Lidl gliders available again

They stay up by magic!
Colonel Blink

Re: Lidl gliders available again

Post by Colonel Blink »

I'll nip to the Lidl near work at lunchtime - as I'll be passing!
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

I couldn't decide between red/white or yellow/black, so I bought one of each..... in reality, £8 is a stupid price!

I wonder how many of these are actually bought for kids :lol: :lol:
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Thanks for the heads up, we have to pass a large Lidl on the way home from our horses, so in we went for some cheese, cold meat, peanut butter, some tortilla chips, fruit and ... oh yeah, two gliders. Same as the Colonel I went for one of each.

I think one conventional conversion is on the cards and possibly a flying wing too.

I wonder if the Directors of Lidl know where most of these little gliders end up... I doubt they are in the least bit bothered, they just know that they sell.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

NeilMac wrote: 24 May 2019, 15:05I wonder if the Directors of Lidl know where most of these little gliders end up... I doubt they are in the least bit bothered, they just know that they sell.
....if they find out that they are being bought up by old farts like us, the price would double overnight!
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Best not let on then eh? ;)

I saw a photo on another forum, someone has just bought six!

There was a huge pile of them in the store I bought mine from, it will be interesting go back next week and see how many are left.
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Here's mine, maidened very successfully today and an absolute delight to fly.

This one has no extra weight and was perfect in 10 MPH winds coming over Middle Hope on the Bristol Channel, I bought a black and yellow one as well and I may do the same conversion but work a little extra weight into it for more breezy days up Crook Peak.
IMG_0304.JPG
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Phil or Neil

what type of glue did you use to stick the tubes to the wing?

Phil - also how do you disconnect the servos to remove the wings - unscrew the arm?
Richard
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Rich

I used a hot-glue gun.

Each pushrod is a short length of wire bent at 90 degrees into an "L" shape,
the servo end of the "L" has a Z-bend for the servo arm, the other end simply
pokes into the wing root. The hole it pokes into is lined with an inch of WD40
straw (or earbud stalk) as a bearing. Nothing to disconnect to remove the wings,
other than the rubber band that keeps the wings together.
When you remove the wings the two "L" pushrods stay on the servos.
I use 3 sections of 'outer' tubing with one on the centre section, that means the
slot is a uniform width & easier to cut. Click & click again to zoom in:

IMG_20190801_132507.jpg
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Thanks Phil - neat trick with the "L" bend wire!
Richard
Martin

Post by Martin »

I found it necessary to lengthen the servo arms on my 'wingeron' Lidl glider to get enough control authority to allow rolls/loops/inverted flying.

I used some small strong neodymium magnets in the plug-on wings and wing roots to hold the wing panels in place when in flight. The magnets need to be close to the main 'spar' axle on which the panels turn, so as to keep the movement of each magnet pair to a minimum. I covered the faces of the magnets with diamond tape so that as the wings pivot the magnets can slide easily, but they're still very close together to give enough 'pull' to keep the wings on!

In fact I faced the whole root surface of the wing and the mating surface of the wing stub with diamond tape so they could slide past each other easily without any visible gap - you want to eliminate that gap, or at least keep it to negligible proportions, because any air leaking through the gap from the lower surface to the upper surface of the wings has a big impact on flying performance.