Been sloping...

They stay up by magic!
Phil_G

Re: Been sloping...

Post by Phil_G »

Its been a while, but here are four old farts throwing their toys off a hill for fun!
A brilliant summers day yesterday at Baildon, the wind was almost bang on and varying 5-20 mph
We always meet at Websters, a proper fish & chip restaurant, but to our dismay it had changed hands! No need to worry though, F&C as good as ever!
Sorry I'd forgotten how poor this Hobbyking camera is when looking towards the sun, which is unavoidable on a West-facing slope!
Shaun & Rob left around 4, unfortunately missing the best part of the day - me & Neil stayed till 8:30 and the lift was amazing, flying right into the cloud base, too high for comfort really :-) Tea, Rosti & Blueberry Muffins in the van then home for 9:30. A grand day out !

iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

A little envious :mrgreen: , I have not flown slope for 20+ years, you fellows look to have had a great day. Now I have to refurbish my Bill Evans Saracen and find a slope.
Cheers,

Dave
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

The old and the new

Wizard of Oz - my first soarer on single channel - and never had much luck with it (incompetence) - but recreated in modern materials (as my building board is the kitchen table and balsa our with an asthmatic son)

Flown with a modernised 2.4 macgregor IV - and hope to fly with my reeds style set on a more predictable day

Fight at Crook Peak (spine ridged so s/c a bit much for me)

So build is in depron with wings out of 2mm correx with depron ribs and broken arrows from the local archery club...

One wing is red (Solarfilm) the other is clear (doculam)

Unlike the original the whole of the lower surface is 'sheeted' + first quarter of the top side

A really bumpy day - up 300ft and picking it up from lower down the slope

Thanks for all the forum help (ended up with a flat tailplane as original lifting one didn't work on 2 ch )
woz.jpg

edit: Nick I've moved your video file onto YouTube, we try to limit file size to under 1MB to save on hosting costs, I hope you don't mind Mike_K
Coxfledgling

Post by Coxfledgling »

2mm correx ?

May I ask from what the fuz was made from please, the 2mm correx ?

Also what wing span and all up wieght please ?
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

It's the same size as the original Wizard of Oz - plan here - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8472 - so 48 inches

(link also an article explaining the delights of trimming s/c, rudder only - a good retro read)

I made tailplane slightly bigger and flat (as suggested on this forum) - flies well on 2/ch

Fuselage and tail is all 6mm depron. Covered in packing tape

Wing has (recycled) carbon fibre arrows as spars - and aluminium tubes for wing joiners (carbon fibre just splits), laser cut depron ribs. Where there would have been sheeting I have replaces with 2mm correx (you might just be able to see the 'ON' left from Jewson (builder merchants). Ribs are undercambered - hot glue works well. Easier than solarfilm when I build the first one with futaba regen s/c

I have extended the correx to all of the lower surface as Crook Peak has huge amounts of gorse

Very bouncy conditions in video - going to give the reed version a go next (both MacGregor and 'Reed' set have old 2.4 radiolink gear in - advantage is that radiolink rx are very easy to bind (just press rx button at any time)

Not a trad build but cheap and given no building area (and asthmatic son) makes little dust / mess