KeilKraft invader build

They stay up by magic!
Colonel Blink

Re: KeilKraft invader build

Post by Colonel Blink »

Well, that's exactly why I put the qualifier [Opinion of poster] in my comment! Let's face it, I can hardly be accused of being a died in the wool purist what with putting four motors on one, can I?

I can't really defend my view, and up to a point I don't choose to because it is all based upon shaky and fallacious logic. I am fine with adding R/C and electric power to the most classic Vintage FF model,be they ducted fan, power, or gliders originally. I am OK with the use of modern materials like CF or moulding canopies and cowls from pop bottles. I don't have too much problem with plastic films either. But there's something about the wobbly wing controlled Invader which jars with me.

In fact, as I think more about it I am realising that it's not wobbly wings per se that I have a problem with (they are fine on for instance the Lidl gliders). No, I think my main issue is that recently the Invader has become synonymous with having wobbly wings. So much so that when I began my RCG build thread even though I clearly stated it would not have that form of control, I was still asked and advised about the best way to effect my presumed wobbly wings. It's like people are far more interested in that rather than the model or design itself, and that they are aghast that the Invader could even fly without them.

I find that a real shame.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I think one of the great things about our hobby is that, unless you are entering a competition where there are rules, you can do your own thing and if somebody else would have done it differently..... so what? There are no rights and wrongs in this, you build YOUR model as YOU want it. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks....... Just don't injure anybody! ;)

Paul
Last edited by PaulJ on 17 Jun 2020, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Phil_G wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 22:07
Colonel Blink wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 09:47... It's like people are far more interested in that rather than the model or design itself, and that they are aghast that the Invader could even fly without them. I find that a real shame.
Totally agree Col, its just like when people put elevators on S/C models - "they are aghast that it could even fly without them" :D
Phil, Galloping Ghost models are technically single channel models, are you advocating disconnecting the elevator or not using the kick up or down elevator function on an Elmic Compact for total purity :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

Shaun

ps. The Lightning free plan I recently did flies superbly on rudder only. :)
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

I find it strange that anyone with even the SLIGHTEST knowledge of model flying should be "aghast at the idea that it (the Invader) could fly without them (wobbly wings)". It was designed as a free-flight model and many hundreds (thousands probably) flew perfectly well without ANY outside interference from the ground. On the other hand, it isn't surprising that the great general public find the idea of a free-flight model almost beyond belief - "but surely it HAS to have "remote" control or it will crash???" Let me relate a slightly associated true story:

My flying buddy John and I were standing on the edge of a superb 60 degree slope with a 20 knot wind trying to wrench the aerobatic slope soarers we were holding from our hands. We were accompanied by John's guest, a highly experienced RAF procurement officer who was visiting him at Avros. "Wait, wait," the guest cried, "you are not going to throw them off HERE, surely?" "Certainly am" I replied, "and don't call me Shirley!", despatching my Phase 4 in the approved manner in a 45 degree downwards direction. Needless to say the guest, a man with thousands of hours of full size flying to his name, was struck dumb when the model reappeared a few seconds later in a 45 degree climb performing a series of consecutive rolls!

As for elevators on single channel models - well, I am all in favour of anything that makes my flying easier and more enjoyable, which elevators usually (but not always) do for me, so if you get more enjoyment from flying them without elevators, then go to it. Vive le difference!
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

PaulJ wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 21:05 I think one of the great things about our hobby is that, unless you are entering a competition where there are rules, you can do your own thing and if somebody else would have done it differently..... so what? There are no rights and wrongs in this, you build YOUR model as YOU want it. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks....... Just don't injure anybody! ;)

Paul
I totally agree, Paul.... I am a great advocate for 'Your model, your rules'. Despite my original comment, I'm not against wobbly wings even on a Vintage model. I just find it unfortunate that it now seems that no-one will build an Invader without them.......... except me ;)
Tigerman01

Post by Tigerman01 »

Just finished building my Invader just needs covering. I am planning on using a 3.7 650 Mh battery. Will this be enough ?.