Mini Chief - 36in Span

They stay up by magic!
Carl

Mini Chief - 36in Span

Post by Carl »

Some may remember from the old forum that I'd built a 36in span version of Bill Dean's 'The Chief' - I've managed to find some images of it.

WP_20190612_18_43_22_Pro.jpg
WP_20170821_16_47_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20170815_13_26_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20170815_13_24_48_Pro.jpg
WP_20170618_19_03_46_Pro.jpg

For various reasons I've not flown it (other than test glides), but I've recently dug it out as I would like to fly it now. Originally it was rudder only with DT, but I'm thinking it'll make a nice light lift sloper (on safe small slopes and not the cliffs :o ). So I've stripped the tissue off the tail surfaces to create a larger rudder (the original was puny) and instead of DT I will have elevator. This is what I've done so far:

WP_20170614_17_07_43_Pro.jpg

I've added a new spar to hinge the elevator from - so on the left side I've shaped the spar and removed the original trailing edge ready for the elevator. The other side needs doing. Also I've removed some of the original tail fin ready to build in a new larger rudder.

I'm trying to do this conversion in such a way that it looks right. I also have a 1968 built original Chief for restoration. I will do exactly the same for the full size one also. It's the tail surfaces that need the work so that works out perfectly.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Carl

Re: Mini Chief - 36in Span

Post by Carl »

The link to the video clip regarding the work I did on the rudder and elevator was one of the things recently lost from the forum. So here it is again:

Last edited by Carl on 01 Aug 2019, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Re: Mini Chief - 36in Span

Post by Carl »

Today I did a little flying and as the breeze was very light I took along my Mini Chief for a test glide. The forecast was for a northerly breeze, but it was more westerly so was unable to try on a slope where you can get nice lift when the breeze/wind is from the north. So tried it on another bit of slope to at least carry out some test glides.

It was a good move to have a considerably larger rudder as I built. At first I reduced the amount of travel to 50%, but found that was no where near enough, so it's up to the full 100% which was much better and gave positive rudder control. A little bit of extra weight up front was also required and I was getting some lovely glides, so it'll be ready for the intended slope the next time I have a gentle northerly breeze :D

But here is one of the test glides:

Carl

STILL LEARNING