Banggood is selling an alternative to Lidl gliders

They stay up by magic!
Martin

Re: Banggood is selling an alternative to Lidl gliders

Post by Martin »

They finally arrived today, by Yodel after their trip to Poland and back. I'd ordered two of them and they come packed in polythene bags inside flimsy plain cardboard boxes, no instructions, stickers, or other extras. The two boxes had just been taped together and a label stuck on. They were badly crushed - it looked like they'd been trodden on and maybe used for a game of football.

But inside there was surprisingly little damage - fuselages and fins all bent out of shape but they look like they'll come back straight with a little heat and coaxing.

Now that I own both types, I can say that the Banggood ones are much flimsier and lighter-looking. Maybe the wingspan is a little longer, but I guess the wing area is less. The split wing on the Banggood ones seems rather weak at the join (though I've not put them into the fuselage yet). I think some kind of stiffening spar will be called for for R/C use. They look more streamlined than the Lidl ones without the big thick trailing edges. Flying will be the acid test, of course.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Martin wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 15:59 They finally arrived today, by Yodel after their trip to Poland and back.
Good to see that perseverance finally payed off, eh Martin? :P
Martin wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 15:59 The two boxes had just been taped together and a label stuck on. They were badly crushed .
I had 4 boxes taped together with a similar outcome :(
Martin wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 15:59 surprisingly little damage - fuselages and fins all bent out of shape but they look like they'll come back straight with a little heat and coaxing.
Gentle heat will do the trick nicely. But, the paint on the fuse will blister quickly if you rush it :oops:
Martin wrote: 06 Sep 2019, 15:59 The split wing on the Banggood ones seems rather weak at the join (though I've not put them into the fuselage yet). I think some kind of stiffening spar will be called for for R/C use.
Won't be an issue of course if you go for the twisty wing variant. The wing halves do seem to be a very snug fit but I still wouldn't trust the standard join for r/c use. Since I've been too busy working :x none of mine have flown yet. What have others found??
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
FBMinis

Post by FBMinis »

There are new ones on ebay for €5.80

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-EPP-Foam ... 3902087653

"Children Toy", right.. :)