1965 World Champs, Sweden

Anything with a propeller
stuart mackay

Re: 1965 World Champs, Sweden

Post by stuart mackay »

Sundancer wrote: 11 Jun 2020, 20:02

What happened to Ralph Brooke's Crusader which is seen being carried back in a very second hand state at one point I wonder? It cannot have been in the contest as all three flights counted, must have been either in practice or fun flying - shows even the best can hit the deck on occasions!

If my knowledge of PidgenSwedish hasnt forsaken me (!), I believe it was caused by control linkage failure, but am sure Tobe will be along to use his native language skills to their true ability! :D
MJF

Post by MJF »

double posted how to delete?
Last edited by MJF on 02 Nov 2020, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
MJF

Post by MJF »

Thanks for posting this Stuart. I watched it for the first time today having not been on the site much lately. Great video quality and content. I have had a huge desire to build a Taurus for some time now for my updated Reeds set but must say that the Mustfire also looks terrific.

I do not understand the language but the models and flying are universal.
Taurus Flyer

Post by Taurus Flyer »

Content in wrong thread..... deleted.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Thanks for posting this! Very enjoyable!

Interesting to see the split between proportional and reeds (looks about 50/50?) and also the number of Bonner Digimites there! (Still got mine, bought 2nd hand in 1968! Very reliable!)

I'm sure I recognise some of the people present (Fritz Bosch flying the original Simprop gear? H.J Nicholls judging?) - will have a closer look later! Also enjoyed seeing the variety of models, especially the Mustfire, always a favourite of mine!

Brilliant stuff from an era before contest models all started looking like fish! :lol:

--
Pete
Martin

Post by Martin »

Interesting that the competitor's bibs/competition numbers were branded Tetra Pak. I didn't think packing milk and other drinks in cardboard boxes rather than bottles had been invented that early. The owners of Tetra Pak went on to become some of the richest people in the world - obviously they were great innovators and cutting-edge engineers: good to see them supporting the RC Hobby back in 1965.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

In a similar vein, also worth mentioning Walter Claas. He made his fortune from farm machinery (Claas are still in business today!) and was the money behind Simprop (seen in this film in the hands of Fritz Bosch, I think).

He also put up the prize money for the first successful RC helicopter - won by Dieter Schluter.

--
Pete