1965 World Champs, Sweden

Anything with a propeller
stuart mackay

1965 World Champs, Sweden

Post by stuart mackay »

Peter Gruchot from Germany advised me of this amazing restored video!

Am sure the pilot names, models and radios will all be familiar to us, we need Tobe to do a full translation!!

Tobe

Re: 1965 World Champs, Sweden

Post by Tobe »

Whoops.
Dad spoke often of this championship as he acted as a volunteer together with is best friend Bengt Lundström who is 84 now and flew several championship starting from Gorizia with his Flygande Hyvelbänkar DFH 16 to 20 which was also what I used to compete with and still have ne alive but now in my son possession.
I was there but can't remember much, the first championship I really remember was Corsica 2 years later. Will look carefully on the video and see what I could add

Cheers
Cheers,

Tobe
glyn

Post by glyn »

Thanks for posting this Stuart it's brilliant! Lots of reed sets being used, seems like you needed to have a fag hanging out of your mouth too and no silencers.. Wow!

Bad news? I will have to put a Mustfire on my bucket list now...what a model.

Did Ed Kazmirski fly that year or was he just an over-qualified helper?

Right I'm off to check out my archives.

Cheers Stuart
Last edited by glyn on 15 Jun 2020, 14:04, edited 1 time in total.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Thanks for posting a really interesting piece of film. I think this was the first champs to be really dominated by proportional radios - only three reed sets in the top 20 places, and these were all flown by the British team. Kazmirski was not flying, the US team was Ralph Brooke (winner), Cliff Weirick (3rd) and Z Ritchie (6th), Chris Olsen was top Brit and also top reed flier at 5th. Probably the surprise results of the meeting were runner-up Chris Teuwen of Belgium flying his "Trouble" design and Norway's Stephansen in 4th place with just about the only shoulder wing model on view - note the way he held his Digimite TX tucked up under his chin - looked most uncomfortable but clearly worked for him!

It was interesting to see Henry J Nicholls featured, and especially to hear the Swedish commentator giving a plug to his shop at "308 Holloway Road". Henry J. was a fixture at most World Champs, I got to know him when I was CD of the World F3B Championships at York in 1983, and although getting on a bit then he was still very much the life and soul of the party and I especially remember his ability to consume a large breakfast whilst still talking non-stop!

What happened to Ralph Brooke's Crusader which is seen being carried back in a very second hand state at one point I wonder? It cannot have been in the contest as all three flights counted, must have been either in practice or fun flying - shows even the best can hit the deck on occasions!

Good stuff
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I believe Ralph Brook crashed his P-51 Mustang while doing a demonstration flight for the crowd after the contest.
Best,
John H.
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Thanks for posting that, Stuart! It brought back quite a few memories, though I wasn't at that event.

I must get round to editing up the 8mm footage I have of the British Nationals at Hullavington between 1965 and 1968. I've got quite a good copy of it all on video now, just need to find time to edit and caption it.....

--
Pete
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

I don't think that shattered fuselage Ralph Brooke is carrying back with a rueful smile at 20:40 into the film is a Mustang John, the tail group and sub fin look like the Crusader.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

That may be correct, I had read and seen a video of Doc Brooke carrying the wreckage of his Mustang after crashing it during a demo flight, but it may have been at another event.
John H.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Yes you are right, that is the Crusader that Doc is carrying. I think I remember now. Doc Brooke and Ed Kasmirski were invited to do demonstration flights aboard a U.S. Navy Carrier where he crashed his Mustang.
John H.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Thanks for the link Stuart.

There is a bit on the '65 world champs on the classic pattern site (similar to our UKCAA I think)

http://classicpattern.com/wc-1965/?lang=en

And I've done a quick scan of the RCM&E WC report in the Oct 65 magazine
RCME_WC65_Report.pdf
(43.94 MiB) Downloaded 306 times
Cheers

Mike