Boddington Foamies

Anything with a propeller
PaulJ

Re: Boddington Foamies

Post by PaulJ »

Hi Glyn, has lockdown got to you? Why is a superb builder like you bothering with a foamie?

'Still......... I suppose it's better looking than the Waveguide! ;) :P

Paul
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

This thread and the one about Ace foam wings prompted me to have a search in the back of the shed to unearth a part completed models that had a foam wing and also a foam tailplane. Found it eventually, don't think its Ace, will take some photos tomorrow and hopefully some of our more knowledgeable members will enlighten me to its parentage.
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Paul

Sorry to take so long to reply I seem to have lost all sense of time, could be living up here in the perpetual darkness of winter! No not really but the days do seem very short..

I'm afraid my quest for a Graupner Consul stems from seeing one in an Aeromodeller advert in the early sixties and wanting one for Christmas. They were very expensive however and I wasn't sure how a model could possibly be made out of polystyrene foam. I received a KK Gyron instead which in hindsight probably flew better anyway. Now of course it's the balsa models that are in a minority. I still would like a Consul all the same and the foamy Cessna seems pretty close. Perhaps this will get the idea out of my system. Yes it does look better than my Waveguide but only just!!! It's just about ready to fly now and come the spring.....

Hope you have a nice Christmas.

Glyn
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Stormer, great name by the way, its on my 'to build list' too, along with hundreds of others! I think the Flat Top variant is for me..

Anyway it'll be interesting to see what your wing and tailplane are from. There can't be many foam tailplanes from antiquity!

Cheers
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Here are a couple of photos of the foam wing and tail plane plus the fuselage, the wings appear to be tissue covered ready to receive a finish that was never applied! Destined for one of my small diesels or glows . The floor tiles are 300 square to give an idea of scale. Destined for one of my small diesels or glows.
Stormer comes from the only motor bike I owned from new which I still own and raced on and off for best part of 50 years. Unfortunately the doc says no more racing but it doesn't stop me from trail riding though I do cross my fingers and touch wood !
Attachments
DB WING 2.JPG
DB WING 1.JPG
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Stormer, are your initials AJS as well? Nice bike either way!

I think your model may be the Whiz Kid from circa 1966. It probably is a plan built model and used a Midwest wing and tailplane. It is a nice looking model when finished so it would be good to see it flying trim. The plan is in Outer Zone and has a nice write up attached to it.

Good luck if you decide to refurb it.

Cheers
Glyn
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Thanks Glyn, I have looked her up and will definitely get her flying, think I will use my S/C gear and a Cox 049, I will tidy her up but not too much, I like the patina, my building skills are decidedly average and I am lazy!

First name is Steve but no match on the initials I'm afraid
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Just picked up a set of Ace parallel chord wings on Evil bay, did they belong to anyone on here?