Boddington Foamies

Anything with a propeller
glyn

Boddington Foamies

Post by glyn »

Hi
I should be flying but it’s quite windy it’s raining every 1/2 hour and the Grand Prix starts in a few minutes.. so I thought I would send a pic of my Boddington Foam wing collection instead. I was given the wings at Ponte a few years ago along with the plans and this is what became of them.
The models all fly really well and have very similar flying characteristics. The glider is the Mini Sailer (not sailor) by Ken Willard and the power models are the MM Flapper and Planet. Both Boddo designed.
What next? A Graupner Consul of course.. not much chance of that though!
Cheers
Glyn
6AC08A4D-FE2F-4F5E-ABF2-5FC87B169D01.jpg
Last edited by glyn on 02 Aug 2020, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Re: Boddington Foamies

Post by Shaun »

They look great. I wonder how many others have been built from the prize wings.

The Willard glider has a look of the Wizard of Oz..If you squint 😆
Looks very interesting.

What did you cover the foam wings with?

Cheers,

Shaun
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Shaun
The Flapper and Mini Sailer’s wings are covered with Solarfilm and the Planet is covered with Jap tissue stuck on with Basaloc then ironed into position. I think I used Deluxe Materials Eze Cote to finish it off.
These wings must be really accurately moulded as no lateral trimming was required on any of them. Thanks for giving them to me!

Cheers
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hooray been out flying power with two more Boddo designs at last. Not exactly single channel but very nice models anyway, although the smaller Model has been flown on the button from Phil’s Arduino 6 channel plus.

cheers
Glyn
A5A19CD9-22E5-41F5-9D49-0966FED2F95E.jpg
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Great collection Glynn👍

The Flapper is very Barnstormeresq to my eyes :o . I have a Barnstormer 72 built back in late '73 that needs considerable tlc to get back into the air. I first flew it with my very trusty Kraft KP2B driving rudder & elevator. The HP.61 was controlled by a 2 position mechanical contraption I cobbled together from a battery operated car mechanism (as I recall) 'contributed' to the flying cause by my younger sister :shock: :oops: . It was activated by a micro-switch connected to the elevator - a pseudo 'quick blip' system - which made the motor cycle from low to high to low, etc. 'High' was mechanically set to give about 70% throttle setting on the HP.61 .... worked surprisingly well, to the horror of the "guns" in the club. Hey, I was 16 & bullet proof!! :lol:

Back to the Boddo moulded wings - never heard of their existence prior to this. Were they produced commercially in any volume? Were they design-specific or more generic like the ACE moulded wings?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Wayne, yes the Flapper is virtually a simplified mini Barnstormer produced by Micro Mold in the seventies (I think). The foam wings were also fitted to the Planet and a powered glider called the Kestrel I believe. I think David Boddington commissioned a batch of foam wings for these kits. Andrew Boddington said that his father's garage was half filled with the wings! I think Andrew may be looking into an article on the models in a future edition of Aeromodeller.
There seems to be quite an interest in the ACE wings at the moment and these Boddo wings are a very good alternative. It's a shame that a new batch could not be commissioned. I have read that this would be very expensive however.
Your quick blip mechanism for the HP 61 sounds terrifying. Nice you proved the club guru's wrong though!

I wonder if Shaun could possibly give us a insight into the models. They were good flyers!

Cheers Wayne
Glyn
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have a less than great memory about the Kestrel
The model was excellent but a year before I bought mine I had disclocated my right shoulder in a skiing accident - my mate who I was teaching to ski barreled into me knocking me over an edge and the joint went pop. Move on a year, I had had many enjoyable flights with the Kestrel when one day at the flying club ( on my own) I threw it skyward rather hard and my joint out popped again. Being a true Yorkshire man there was no way I was going to let it crash or fly away so I had to fly it left handed on a 2 stick , 2 channel tx flitting between the ele and rudder ( I'm a mode 2 flyer) and wait until the tank on the babe bee ran out then glide it back to our field in agony all the time bending forward with my nose getting closer to the ground as it seemed to alleviate the pain. Managed to get in the car with the Kestrel and drive back home 10 mins away (manual car) so a mate could take me down to the hospital to get it popped back again.

Shaun
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi
After much trawling of the Internet looking for a Graupner Consul I came up with this foamy Cessna. So with some new decals, fin and more dihedral this is the outcome. Pretty close eh?
No I suppose not but if you squint, pretend the fuselage is not so fat and in the absence of a real one it’s going to have to do.
It’s not quite finished so no flying report yet either. I'll get back to you when and if it does!
7C97995A-2557-43EC-AC60-D351017D1A9F.jpg
Cheers
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Hi Glyn,
yes, the tail-feathers and the wing are close, the fuselage a little fat, but so what. It´s better than nothing.
From the distance it will look pretty close.
Good luck for the maiden.
Consul4k.jpg
Frank
Last edited by tiptipflyer on 30 Nov 2020, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
glyn

Post by glyn »

Thanks Frank,

Your Consul looks great and I think I asked you a few questions about it when you posted it a few years ago (what paint you used etc)

It has a nice Medallion up front too...very original!

Thanks for the encouragement.

Glyn