Rogallo

Anything with a propeller
Nick M

Rogallo

Post by Nick M »

Starting a new thread - Rogallo / Hang glider

I''ll upload a couple of videos

I've found that Rogallos work really well with s/c as they tend to be very stable in pitch

I have some that are just rudder - and some that are a normal fuz with a rogallo wing on top instead of a normal wing

Less good in strong winds but great for learners or summer evenings
Nick M

Re: Rogallo

Post by Nick M »

A good starting point for me was this free flight version

https://www.airplanesandrockets.com/air ... 70-aam.htm

(and interesting article)

One important idea is that the c/g has to be right in the vertical plane as well as horizontal - if not a weird side-slipping turn happens (shortly followed by a crash...)

The information in the plan applied with a normal fuz works well

Best to start off with not too high an aspect ratio - and the Insect wing really easy to measure and build

(obvious thing for me is a high build speed - and can only admire the crafted gems of others)
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

This a depron Blazy Bee with a Rogallo wing rather than the normal one

Filmed at Elmington on the evening of the BMFA heavy lift competition

Blazy Bee image.jpg
Last edited by Nick M on 19 Nov 2020, 06:45, edited 2 times in total.
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Ugly stick image.jpg
And this an Ugly Stick rogallo

Last edited by Nick M on 19 Nov 2020, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Some 20 or 30 years ago, i had a plan of a rogallo plane published in RCM&E. Often flown in the fields around our house. I remember the House Martins and Swallows flying round her when on dead stick! Not mobbing her but just seemingly curious!
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

This another one

It's several years old

Great for car / holidays as completely flat
WIN_20201114_12_18_04_Pro.jpg

The rx is a FL toys brick - has the advantage that I can use it with the (tiny) FL toys tx or with Radiomaster multimodule - which also allows me to fly as s/c bang bang. Proportional makes very little difference!

Fuz is 2mm depron and shape makes little difference - I have a bigger one where everything is (very) rectangular. That one slightly bigger but with a brushless outrunner

Fuz is so thin that any servo movement bends the fuz as much as moving the rudder...

Brick has 2 x servos but elevator servo unused

Lipo is 1S and most sizes work

Motor is a geared thing from an old Silverlit toy - ESC part of the brick

Rogallos work well as very stable in pitch / throttle to go up and down

Very slow flier
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

This a 7ft Rogallo

Fuz is made out of aluminium arrows that break down (using c/f inserts)

There is a top 'arrow' and a bottom 'arrow' separated with foamboard which makes it very rigid

RC just taped to the side / 2200 mah / E-flite motor from the BMFA lifting challenge

Wing is a triangle rather than the normal diamond but doesn't seem to make any difference

Very, very slow and idea for learning as the thing skids sideways rather than any sort of bank with a dipping nose

It's a bit like a canal barge - you can max out the motor and travel at 5mph - or ease right off, reduce noise and pootle along at 4mph and look at the view...

It has a tailplane which does very little except change angle of attack. This looks significant in how it sits but makes almost no difference to the speed!

Would be better with some battens on the TE if only for the sight of a flapping TE