Dave Platt Executor

Anything with a propeller
Wayne_H

Re: Dave Platt Executor

Post by Wayne_H »

An attractive, yet purposeful looking & well constructed model - very nice, well done!

I have Dave Platt's Half Tone on my soon to build list (once we're settled in New Zealand).
HalfTone1.jpg
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Lovely....
MJF

Post by MJF »

Thanks Wayne

The Half Tone should be a perfect candidate for rudder only.
I was torn between building the Half Tone from scratch or building a Mini Mambo kit that I already had.
Although the Mini won out on that one I think the Half Tone might handle a breeze much better.

Best of luck with your move
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

A few pics of Dave Platt some years ago at an indoor gathering in Cocoa Beach, FL where he lived at the time. Yes it's a Miles Magister and it is in exact scale with the right amount of ribs and stringers.
One of the last occasion we flew together Daves comment was: Do you realize Tobe that only you and I have built by ourselves the models we are flying here today, and he was quite disappointed that no more modeller had built their own models. At that time Dave confided that he is going more back to origine by flying/building more C/L and FF models.
DaveP01.JPG
Attachments
DaveP03.JPG
DaveP02.JPG
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Great pics Tobe, thanks for sharing. Do you recall how well the Magister performed? I'd expect very well given it's creator! ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
MJF

Post by MJF »

Well I am almost decided on the paint scheme for my Dave Platt Executor.

The fuselage will be covered with silkspan & dope, the wings with a white synthetic tissue (LiteSpan) as I have plenty of that.
Went through my limited stock of butyrate dope & discovered I had lots of white, clear, Bahama Blue and some Tennessee Red.

I came up with a color scheme based on a combo of Dave Platt's original and what I had on my C 172 that I owned between 1984 and 2009.

Just have to decide now whether to paint the fuselage white or leave it with the natural silkspan & dope and Bahama Blue trim (leaning this way right now).
The stab will be all blue, the wings will be clear dope over the white translucent LiteSpan, blue wing tips. Not sure if I will do the windows white or black or silver as yet.

Just talk for now as it is very cold outside. Getting up some nerve to try doping in the basement workshop with a fan in the window. Not bad with a good paint mask - I have done it before but it does stink up the house.

Between Covid and our looooong winter it will be a while before I can fly it anyway.
Harder to pick a paint scheme that it is to build the model! Ended up being a simple paint scheme <br />for all the time I spent on this. <br />At least it will be easy to mask.
Harder to pick a paint scheme that it is to build the model! Ended up being a simple paint scheme
for all the time I spent on this.
At least it will be easy to mask.