Dave Platt Executor

Anything with a propeller
MJF

Dave Platt Executor

Post by MJF »

Just started cutting out some parts for a 1963 Dave Platt design "Executor" originally spanning 54" for a .15 cu in. engine.
Intended for Single Channel using three rubber driven escapements - plan from Outerzone
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=9919

I liked the overall shape of the model as well as the symmetrical airfoil which I think should handle a breeze better than a flat bottom.
That and the fact that Dave Platt is known for some pretty good model designs.

I have scaled it down to 80% size to suit my Enya .09 that I will be using. (also running out of space for bigger models!)
Still early in the build stage at this point.

This will be flown with a converted to 2.4 single channel C&S Electronics Falcon 1 transmitter using one of Phil G's single channel encoders.
I will have rudder, 3 position throttle and kick up elevator on this one.

Will post more as the build progresses.
Nice stack of ribs.<br />Quite a few for such a small model.
Nice stack of ribs.
Quite a few for such a small model.
The project so far. <br />Fuse sides cut out, stab, elevator, fin &amp; rudder made<br />A few fuselage formers. You may notice that I changed some of the formers shapes to suit <br />more modern internal equipment.
The project so far.
Fuse sides cut out, stab, elevator, fin & rudder made
A few fuselage formers. You may notice that I changed some of the formers shapes to suit
more modern internal equipment.
The mighty Enya .09 series IV<br />with muffler
The mighty Enya .09 series IV
with muffler
Mike F
tiptipflyer

Re: Dave Platt Executor

Post by tiptipflyer »

Looks great, I am looking forward for the building report. (and of course flying report later)
Three rubber escapements will be a real challenge.
BTW, great transmitter.

Frank
MJF

Post by MJF »

I should have written as designed "originally" it was intended for 3 escapements.

Mine will have three well behaved servos emulating single channel operation using the single button - only without
the simulated hanging up, rubber running down, skipping a signal, going out of range etc.! :lol:
MJF

Re: Dave Platt Executor progressing

Post by MJF »

I made some progress on the Executor.
The wing is coming along nicely should be finished it in a day or so.
I have the ribs and spars setup in my trusty Adjusto-Jig.<br />A bit of a pain to setup but the wings always come out very straight
I have the ribs and spars setup in my trusty Adjusto-Jig.
A bit of a pain to setup but the wings always come out very straight
The leading edge wing sheeting is glued in place top and bottom. You can see the yet to be shaped leading edge being held in place with popsicle sticks and #64 rubber bands while the glue drys. Being a simple wing without ailerons I can usually complete everything with the exception of the bottom center sheeting and bottom side wing tip braces in while in the jig.
The leading edge wing sheeting is glued in place top and bottom. You can see the yet to be shaped leading edge being held in place with popsicle sticks and #64 rubber bands while the glue drys. Being a simple wing without ailerons I can usually complete everything with the exception of the bottom center sheeting and bottom side wing tip braces in while in the jig.
MJF

Post by MJF »

Progress has slowed down on my Executor as the XHT module arrived for my C&S Electronics Falcon 1 single channel transmitter conversion.
As a result I have spent more time on that that building this. That will change as I have just finished the conversion.
The completed wing &amp; out of the jig. <br />It is a very rugged wing!<br />Tail group is built. Fuselage next.
The completed wing & out of the jig.
It is a very rugged wing!
Tail group is built. Fuselage next.
MJF

Post by MJF »

A little more done on the Executor.
The fuselage taking shape in the jig. <br />Somewhat dwarfed in the huge jig originally <br />created to build a Leprechaun fuselage. <br />It does however prevent building a banana shaped fuselage.
The fuselage taking shape in the jig.
Somewhat dwarfed in the huge jig originally
created to build a Leprechaun fuselage.
It does however prevent building a banana shaped fuselage.
Out of the jig with the stab placed on the tail end I noticed a potential problem. The center sheeting matched the fuse edges perfectly - no extra wood to attach covering after gluing in place or if repairs are needed later. I added a couple of extra ribs approx 1/2&quot; farther out.
Out of the jig with the stab placed on the tail end I noticed a potential problem. The center sheeting matched the fuse edges perfectly - no extra wood to attach covering after gluing in place or if repairs are needed later. I added a couple of extra ribs approx 1/2" farther out.
Extra wood added. Now I can glue the stab on and cover later.
Extra wood added. Now I can glue the stab on and cover later.
My brother has access to a metal shear so he cut a couple of blanks for me. Here it is being bent to shape. At this point ALL holes have been drilled for mounts and axles prior to bending.
My brother has access to a metal shear so he cut a couple of blanks for me. Here it is being bent to shape. At this point ALL holes have been drilled for mounts and axles prior to bending.
I used a couple of short lengths on angle iron to keep the straight parts straight. A length of aluminum with a radius filed on on provided the form. Bend line on the gear is lined up with the top of the form block.
I used a couple of short lengths on angle iron to keep the straight parts straight. A length of aluminum with a radius filed on on provided the form. Bend line on the gear is lined up with the top of the form block.
Completed gear came out looking good to me.
Completed gear came out looking good to me.
More to follow when the air frame is completed.
MJF

Post by MJF »

Air frame construction almost complete.
Fuel tank located and servo rails temporarily in place. I will slide them back &amp; forth along the 1/8&quot; square beams to get the best balance when the covering is completed. I will also add some vertical 1/8&quot; square braces from the servo beams to the wing saddles to stiffen up the cabin area after the servos are in their final location.
Fuel tank located and servo rails temporarily in place. I will slide them back & forth along the 1/8" square beams to get the best balance when the covering is completed. I will also add some vertical 1/8" square braces from the servo beams to the wing saddles to stiffen up the cabin area after the servos are in their final location.
Lots of sanding to knock off the sharp corners and maybe get rid of some weight still needs to be done.
Lots of sanding to knock off the sharp corners and maybe get rid of some weight still needs to be done.
Some pre cover bones shots. 22 oz. ( 623.7 grams) at this point.
Some pre cover bones shots. 22 oz. ( 623.7 grams) at this point.
Hard points to be added to the wing in order to prevent the rubber bands from digging in.
Hard points to be added to the wing in order to prevent the rubber bands from digging in.
Now to decide what to cover it with. Scheme will be similar to the original model. Looking forward to the first flights.  90% done 90% to go!
Now to decide what to cover it with. Scheme will be similar to the original model. Looking forward to the first flights. 90% done 90% to go!
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Great looking model... Have you an image of the original a colour scheme ?

Shaun
Last edited by Shaun on 21 Jan 2021, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

What finish are you going with tissue, film, nylon ??
MJF

Post by MJF »

A far as an image goes I only have the one from the magazine cover shot. (attached)

The scheme might be based on the original but not exactly. I like the swoops by the nose but will carry it under the nose and probably extend over the back side instead of ending on the sides. Have to give it some thought while I build the next model.

As much as I would like to see it covered and finished I cannot get myself to bake on a layer of plastic film. I have a few models covered in that media and it works great but I don't think it is right for this model. Thought about tissue over Mylar but I am sure I will get over that.
Right now leaning towards using Lite Span or Coverite "Cover Lite" with a coat of dope mainly because I have plenty of each.

Far too cold to dope outside. Might risk doing it in my basement workshop with a fan in the window.
Depends on the noise it creates from upstairs!

Very much looking towards flying this one with my converted C&S Falcon 1 single channel transmitter operating rudder, elevator & throttle.
Attachments
Model Aircraft May 1963R.pdf
Found a better copy of the magazine cover shot on the internet. I do not have the magazine
(551.22 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by MJF on 22 Jan 2021, 19:53, edited 3 times in total.