Dave Platt Half Tone

Anything with a propeller
Wayne_H

Dave Platt Half Tone

Post by Wayne_H »

Now that we have settled into our new digs in NZ after having had to change from the place we moved into when we first arrived, I've joined a local Club, and even had a fly of Brian_Z's Radian e-glider.
Half_Tone.jpg
Since I didn't bring any airframes with me (I couldn't fit any in :cry: ), I needed something to fly. Enter the Half Tone which has been on my "gotta have one" list for a long time 8-).
Half_Tone2.jpg
Then, while poking around in a local arts & crafts supply store, I found 700 x 500 sheets of 5mm thick depron-like foam board, with a thin glossy coloured paper coat on one side and white on the reverse, for the princely sum of NZ$2 a sheet - a bargain I reckoned, so I lashed out and spent NZ$20 on an assortment of yellow, green, sky blue and white sheets (pink & black were the only other colour choices :( ). Add in NZ$8 for a small hot melt glue gun and NZ$2 for a packet of 27 glue sticks and I was armed and dangerous :shock: :?

I printed off the plans from OZ - https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5673 - then made templates by gluing the relevant parts to thin cardboard (in my case, a cereal box).
Half_Tone_plan.jpg
Given the material I was going to use, I had to make a few mods to the structure.
  • fuse sides and formers would be 5mm foam board
  • fuselage top & bottom would be 2 mm foam board that I had brought with me
  • the tailplane would be a single sheet of 5mm foam board with a bamboo skewer to reinforce the LE.
  • the wing would be a single sheet of 5mm foam board on the bottom with 2 mm foam board top sheeting.
  • The wing spar would be a bamboo skewer top & bottom with a shear web from 5mm foam board
At this point, I thought it prudent to test out the construction materials and techniques I had in mind on something expendable(?) :shock: :? Look for a post in Slope Soarers (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1277&p=10833#p10833)
Last edited by Wayne_H on 04 Apr 2021, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Re: Dave Platt Half Tone

Post by bluejets »

Love it...look forward to seeing some construction photos.
Built an old Rearwin Speedster once from white foam and brown paper ( back in the early 90's)
Ran for year on an OS 61 four stroke until some hot shot with a pylon racer shivved right through the guts of it.

Similar foam board stuff available in Aus do you think...??

Just saw an old comparison of different types of foam sheeting where they compared to the Dollar Tree foam in the US.
Seems 0.19g/sq cm was the quoted weight to aim for.
Depron in Aus but large quantity packs. ($200.00 plus)

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/foa ... australia
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

thanks Jeff
bluejets wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 04:20 Love it...look forward to seeing some construction photos........Similar foam board stuff available in Aus do you think...??
Good question - the shop here is the same as the old $2 shops back in Aus, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't available somewhere similar.
bluejets wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 04:20 ...Seems 0.19g/sq cm was the quoted weight to aim for.
I don't have an accurate scale where I'm staying. I'll track one down and post the mass/area.
Cheers,

Wayne
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Great little plane.. I featured it as an RCM&E free plan back in 2017.

Flys on rudder, throttle with e-power.

Shaun
Spare 1.JPG
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

bluejets wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 04:20
Seems 0.19g/sq cm was the quoted weight to aim for.
Should have been per sq inch .......

Weighed some sheet from Officeworks today and the 5mm came in at .30g/sq inch so another 50% heavier.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 04 Apr 2021, 10:13 Great little plane.. I featured it as an RCM&E free plan back in 2017.

Flys on rudder, throttle with e-power.

Shaun
Shaun,

Did you stick with the 1/8" rudder movement as shown on the plan? Clearly there is plenty of rudder authority!
Cheers,

Wayne
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I had more Wayne. I seem to remember I flew it on a 1+1 converted Mac G propo/3 position throttle set. 1/8" would be a good starting point for bang bang rudder.

Cheers,

Shaun.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

bluejets wrote: 06 Apr 2021, 04:36 Weighed some sheet from Officeworks today and the 5mm came in at .30g/sq inch so another 50% heavier.
Managed to get access to a calibrated scale in the site geotech lab today, so no question about the accuracy of the sheet mass :P :ugeek:

The 5mm sheets come out at .235g/sq.inch
Cheers,

Wayne
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Wayne_H wrote: 07 Apr 2021, 09:54 The 5mm sheets come out at .235g/sq.inch
I'm glad I'm not the only person to mix their imperial and SI units together! I'm forever getting told by the kids to stick to one system (364g/m²) or if I have to the other (0.0083oz/sq.inch). But I can relate to .235g/sq.inch better than either of the other two, it must be our age :?
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I second after quite many years in the "Imperial world", what I have learned is to not mix them in the same project, it's like when switch between languages...You can't think in one language and speak an other. Might be easier when you are born in a bilingual ...
What confuses me is that the imperial system have the "choice of fractional or decimal" especially in mechanical workshops.
Cheers,

Tobe