Frankenstein and Sharkface single channel models

Anything with a propeller
RogerMacey

Frankenstein and Sharkface single channel models

Post by RogerMacey »

It's been a while since I posted (about my look-alike RCS Guidance System, and MacGregor MR200 single channel transmitters) but at long last I have completed and flown my Frankenstein and Sharkface models.

The Frankenstein originally had a Mills 1.3 Mk1 diesel fitted, but was a little underpowered (due mainly to the amount of lead in the nose to get the CG anywhere near right !). It has now been fitted with a PAW 09, and flies very well. The radio link (using Phil's Single Channel Encoder) has performed faultlessly.

The Sharkface is electric powered, but has proven to be a real handful ! I have temporarily reverted to proportional control while I try to get it trimmed a little better before I dare go back to single channel !

Both my clubmate John Rogers and I have had a great deal of fun with our renewed single channel antics, much to the amusement and appreciation of fellow club members, and two more of them are currently following suit ! This could really catch on !
Attachments
Sharkface.jpg
Frankenstein.jpg
PatMc

Re: Frankenstein and Sharkface single channel models

Post by PatMc »

Hi Roger, I'm surprised you found the Frankenstein underpowered by the Mills. I built a scaled up version (57" wingspan) from a kit produced by a LMS back around 1994, fitted it with an Indian Mills 1.3. It didn't need any extra nose weight & the Mills power was fine. The engine was mounted on a paxolin plate so that it would be easy to try various other engines, the most marginal & heaviest I tried was a worn out ED "Penny Slot" but it still managed to drag Frankie around with some coaxing.
Later converted it to electric, first with a 600 brushed & 7 x sub C nicads. Weight was eye watering but it actually flew very well & was a little overpowered. Later tried a 480 brushed with a gearbox (IIRC 1.65 : 1) with 7 x 2/3 AF Kan Nimhs, this is the version in the video & photos. This was much lighter & with adequate power - enough for loops & rolls. Video was made using an early Flycam so isn't great.

[YouTube]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mbVvctx_B88" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YouTube]

It's been a hanger queen for 8 or 9 years, overdue a makeover with conversion to brushless & lipo.
Attachments
Backlit.JPG
Frankie.jpg
PaulJ

Re: Frankenstein and Sharkface single channel models - Mills power

Post by PaulJ »

With reference to the power of the Mills 1.3 and it's ability or otherwise to haul the Frankenstein around, FWIW the Mk2 (and particularly later Mk2s) had significantly more power than the Mk1 due to improved porting. The Indian Mills 1.3 came along later and almost certainly had the impoved porting. This is borne out by my own experience. I have an early Mk2 which is a much loved but rather gutless motor and an Indian one which has a lot more oomph....... Mind you, "all things are relative"! ;)

Paul
stormer254

Re: Frankenstein and Sharkface single channel models

Post by stormer254 »

I flew my Frankenstein, now deceased, on an Indian Ki.5 diesel with MacGregor sc with no problems, having just found the original plan the building juices , always slow, are now stating to flow!