Don Dewey's Royal Coachman Build.

Anything with a propeller
drigotti

Re: Don Dewey's Royal Coachman Build.

Post by drigotti »

Nicely done! Best looking Royal Coachman I've seen!
Dave Rigotti
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

I managed to the day a 6 month build, I cut the first wood for the Coachman on July 26th 2021, and today January 26th 2022 I maidened the Coachman.

I was suffering from a case of nerves, this being my first scratch build in quite a few years, I didn't video the first two flights. The first two flights were okay, she needs some ballast removed and some more down thrust on the motor, but she fly's well, loops and snap rolls are great, a few touch and goes, they went well and the landings were flawless, now I wish I had recorded them, oh well.

Third flight I mounted the GoPro over the CG, made the Coachman more nose heavy, cut the flight on the second circuit, the landing was a bit bumpy, but okay, the fourth flight without the camera started well, but after throwing her around a little, the elevator started to not work while trying to perform a loop, elevator response stopped as the Coachman went vertical . I was lucky she had a little up elevator, tha saved her from diving into the ground as I started the turn onto the runway.

Damage was, a broken prop, a bent nose leg, that, I pulled back straight at the field, and, took off the last 1 1/2" of the starboard elevator tip. I'll have the Coachman back in the air in 10 days.

The video is the best I could do with the cameras I have.
Cheers,

Dave
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Found out what happened, the motor in the elevator servo came loose, motor and pinion gear dropped away from the gear train leaving the elevator stopped in a slightly up position, lucky there.

The glue they use to glue the servo motor in place didn't work, I've taped a small balsa block inside the base of the servo, now the motor can't drop away, these Black Magic metal gear servos centre perfectly and are smooth in operation.

I will be checking the rudder servo internals as well, just in case.
Cheers,

Dave