Junior 60 build

Anything with a propeller
Wavemeter

Re: Junior 60 build

Post by Wavemeter »

Fear not the lead is within a very contained space . If it broke free completely it would hardly change the C of G
It’s a point regarding lead fumes and soldering - for years I made Terrariums for a living using lead tin solder and hideous fluid flux. We used fans to push it away but I reckon it didn’t do me much good . Making a terrarium last year reminded me how caustic and dangerous the process was so if I do it again for a Christmas present this year I’ll do it outside
Reconstituted boy
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, it is a big chunk of lead and you might need a bit less if it were further forward. From the earlier build pictures, it looks as though you may be able to put some directly unter the motor......... FWIW, I hollow out the block on the underside of the nose, soak the area with water for a few seconds to saturate the wood and prevent burning. Tip any surplus water out and then pour the lead directly into the hollow. Let the lead set and then tip the model upside down and the lead will fall out. Let the area dry out (if it hasn't already), clean up any scorching and then bed the lead back in with some 5 minute epoxy. This way the lead is as far forward as it is possible to get it and there is no wasted space.
20211217_102144[1].jpg
Paul
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Another option is to put the lead forward of the prop hub in a spinner for max forward position. Well balanced of course. A turned steel mass can also be very effective out there.
Be very cautious pouring molten lead into any wet or damp area. If you really must do it at least cover all skin and wear safety glasses.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

The possible drawback of a heavy spinner could be the side effect of gyroscopic precession. Maybe not a big problem on something like a J60 but on anything mildly aerobatic I think it would be a no-no and even on a J60 you would never get it to loop straight!

Paul
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Interesting comments thank you . Agreed with getting it as far forward as possible - it is in fact very nearly under the motor -and it would be if the motor were a smaller diameter. It does look big amount of lead but it’s only what it needs and no more. The model itself is a light build. I felt the same about the(electric) Black Magic which has a similar sized lump. However the Super 60 with its 4stroke up front needed a lump in the tail !

Back to the Junior it balances slightly nose down with a 3300mah 3s and level with a 2200 3s
Reconstituted boy
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

At last ! The Maiden hath been accomplished!
Completely magical . I thought I try a little taxi to get a feel for it and it took off as if by magic only a tiny amount of power . So I quickly cut throttle and settled into long grass at the edge of the runway. A walk back to the centre of the field . Pull trousers up and tighten belt and away she went . No trim required just incredibly beautiful and all at walking pace - What a model !
Reconstituted boy
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Wavemeter wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 22:57 At last ! The Maiden hath been accomplished!
Completely magical .......
Congratulations Jonathon :D
Wavemeter wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 22:57 ...... Pull trousers up and tighten belt and away she went....
Might just be me, wif me being from unwashed convict stock 'n all your Lordship, but that's an interesting(?) mental image 🤔. In my part of the world sir, we wuz always taught ta keep our pants up at the flying field :roll: :lol:
Wavemeter wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 22:57 No trim required just incredibly beautiful and all at walking pace - What a model !
Well done 👍. How about some pics or video??
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Photos at last ! I think ( hope) I have shrunk sufficiently for posting :?

57FEF8FF-7655-4809-B84D-75E8EA9F0F4F.jpeg
DEC708DF-1136-49FB-9308-914758FFA082.jpeg
----------------------------------------------

Hi Jonathan, the size of the photo's are good, in fact you've gone beyond what is needed, but I've moved the video onto youtube, hope you don't mind - Mike
Reconstituted boy
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

Ah thank you Mike - I don’t know how to do that (video)
Reconstituted boy
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Congratulations Jonathon, a great conclusion to your detailed building thread. Love the (almost) sunset shot, most nostalgic.

Beware that pair of whomping willows just waiting for a feed :shock: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)