Trainer advice

Anything with a propeller
Stew

Trainer advice

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

I've recently come into possession of an engine I had as a youth, a HB40 PDP. And as I've never flown a '40 trainer' (I have only ever flown smaller diesel powered 3, 2, and single channel vintage designs) which are 'guided' more than 'flown', I thought it was high time I cast around for a trainer, and maybe work towards my 'A' certificate.
I was wondering if anyone had a particular recommendation for a proper RC trainer? I'm not shy about building, so built up is fine. I'm not sniffy about prefab either.

Penny for your thoughts?

Stew.
Shaun

Re: Trainer advice

Post by Shaun »

If you are ok on an aileron model Stew, the original WOT 4 is a cracking aircraft.
Shaun.
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Another excellent .40 size trainer is the Bridi Trainer 40. One of the best and most popular trainers.
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Stewart

Post by Stewart »

Bridi trainer 40 https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10529
if you want something a little different try a Simitar Classic https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10190
another eligant model is the Cloud Dancer 40 https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5870 a great flying model
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi guys.

Thanks so much for the advice. I don't know if I'm ready for ailerons yet, but the Wot 4 has been recommended to me before, with reduced rates and throttled well back.
Back in my teens the Precedent Hi Boy and the Yamamoto were in RCM&E adverts a lot, so naturally I lusted after one, but my pocket money wouldn't stretch to the kit and propo radio. I had the engine and nothing else :(
I just feel like its time to learn to fly RC properly, so I will look into the models you suggested.

Stew.
wookman

Post by wookman »

Kamco Kadet everyday of the week. Outerzone have the plan. Build the dihedral wing then when you have mastered that build the aileron wing.
I learnt to fly back in the late 70s with one powered by a OS 40 FSR and guided by Skyleader clubman radio that still serves in a Veron Impala.
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.
Wavemeter

Post by Wavemeter »

If it’s of any merit here - years of growing up reading the model mags and books all suggested high wing model rudder and aileron

Latterly I think going straight to ailerons would have been better . My Son , VERY annoyingly had a few casual goes on an flight sim . Was clear he could manage it. So I let him loose with my little GWS Corsair - Stupidly over powered (electric) low wing full house . He could fly INSTANTLY ! Made me sick as it took me a very long time to get that far :mrgreen:
Reconstituted boy
wookman

Post by wookman »

I struggle to fly a simulator. Just can't get on with them.
You can't have too many gliders. You can have too little time.
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

If you go to 4 channel, don't forget to keep that rudder finger working.
Many don't and many more don't know how.

As far as HB40 engine, surely you can find a less snarley more docile engine.
The old ring style OS40 max-H were a lovely engine especially for trainers.
One I have here, prime and flick back against compression fires it up every time.
MJF

Post by MJF »

I have been an instructor in our club for a long time and have seen many an aircraft labelled as a "trainer"
A good trainer in ,my view should have ailerons. In the so called "good old days we used a lot of 3 channel planes, primarily I think to save some money as the four channel radios were considerably more cash! Some trainers came with nose wheels some with tail wheels. It has been said that a nose wheel equipped trainer is easier to have track straight on take off. That is true if built & setup straight! What I have found is that the student becomes very adept at straightening nose gear legs & replacing props unless they can flair the model correctly when landing. This is doubtful in the early stages. If they could manage good landings they would probably not be a student!
The plane should be big enough to easily see when in the air. A larger model with an engine say of the 40 size would also handle a bit of wind
better than a smaller 3 channel model giving the student more opportunity to fly and learn.
Although a symmetrical airfoil might penetrate a breeze better than a flat bottom or Clark Y they can be much less forgiving of mistakes IE lifting off too slow on take off or on landing approach.
If you like to build from plans perhaps consider the Telemaster 40 (oz9384). Just leave out the flaps or have them in a fixed position for learning

This model can be built as either tail wheel (my preferred) or with a nose wheel if you have to! It fits all of the other criteria.

Another worthy model, although nose wheel equipped is the SIG Kadet LT40 available as either a kit or an ARF. It is a excellent flying aircraft and a very good trainer. It is about the same size as the Telemaster 40. It might not be that easy to find in your area though. Worth studying pictures of it to note what makes it fly well, the huge fin area and stabilizer, generous wing area on a 70+ span model with a flat bottom airfoil and takes up to a 46 size engine (a 40 works very well in this one).

"bluejets" advice about not forgetting the rudder is very good advise. That stick that increases the noise also has another function!

Hope you find what you need and have fun with it.