Wolfgang Matt Superstar 2

Anything with a propeller
stuart mackay

Wolfgang Matt Superstar 2

Post by stuart mackay »

Another classic aerobat hits the skies over Norfolk.
This time the Wolfgang Matt designed Superstar 2 updated to fly on 6s Lipo/ 80 A speed controller with a Ripmax Quantum 61 and with electric tricycle landing gear, twin elevator and aileron servos guided by a LemonRx 2.4 module Tx and Lemon 6 channel Rx.
It flies like it is on rails! Hope you like?
304925636_10160152018129872_2689721515462410917_n.jpg
Shaun

Re: Wolfgang Matt Superstar 2

Post by Shaun »

Always liked Matt's designs Stu.
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Modded the canopy fixing as the magnets originally used led to the loss of canopy in knife edge manoeuvres and now has two SLEC hatch catches used. and here are some in flight pics with wheels tucked away...
_STU3905.JPG
_STU3875.JPG
_STU3873.JPG
_STU3855.JPG
Martin

Post by Martin »

Lovely. I'd love to build one to take part in the UKCAA competitions. The guys who compete really prefer you to use glow motors (ideally period correct ones), but they understand that not everyone can fly noisier models regularly (or want to, even when they can), so quite a few of them now have electric set-ups in one of Matt's Arrows, or Prettner's Curares, etc.

However, I already have too many models in the 'build queue', so that's going to have to wait...
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Martin

The UKCAA events I entered in 2018 and 2019 had a mixture of glow and electric motors being used and all the glows were modern, the oldest probably being an OS Hanno 61, the most common being OS 55AX on pipes, but any 55-61 or equivalent electric is OK. Nobody will look down on you for going electric, they just aren't that type of event.

While the top 4 or 5 pilots are fairly competitive the events are very relaxed, they hold informal competitions around lunch time, but many don't enter, being satisfied with just flying their classic F3A models and seeing other F3A models being flown. There's usually a nice selection of F3A models, I was flying a King Altair design from 1967, but most are from the 70s and 80s pre-turn around schedule, such as Curare, Atlas, Dirty Birdie, Blue Angel etc, but if you have something more modern like a Loaded Dice nobody minds. A Super Star would be perfect.

There are two classes in the competition, pick 7 and pick 5 (where you select 7 or 5 manoeuvres from a list) and as long as you can do basic aerobatics you'll be fine with the pick 5. And don't worry about entering the competition and coming last, you should easily beat me! Though with practice and coaching I did manage to win a couple of the pick 5 competitions at the end of 2019, that shows the level at the bottom end.

Mike
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I entered the UKCAA event at Watford a few years back, partly as an excuse to visit my old club, and partly because I'd never entered a fixed wing aerobatic competition (did a few heli ones, back in the day).

I flew my (lamented) KingPin, which was powered by a period (1967) Webra 61. It had plenty of power for the job, and I didn't come last! (OK, I came last but one! :lol: )

Sadly, the KingPin met its end at Ponty this year. Mea culpa! It always was prone to snapping if stalled, and when the motor cut during a spin, I ran out of height and speed whilst trying to get it back into wind to land it. It snapped back in to a spin at low altitude, too low to recover it.

The reason the motor stopped was my fault entirely. I was tight for space in the car, so I opted to only bring one fuel mix with me, 5% instead of straight. I thought 5% would be OK in the Webra, but it wasn't. I managed to get it to run OK by richening up the main needle, but the tickover and pick-up weren't great, and that's what led to it cutting.

The engine and radio gear all survived OK, but the airframe was toast.

A replacement is awaiting its turn on the building board, and at the moment I'm torn between i/c or electric. My heart says i/c, but I have access to more flying sites if I go electric - and I just happen to have a suitable motor sitting around doing nothing! Also my favourite "fuel-proof" paint (Solarlac) is no longer available, so I may have to go with car rattle-cans, which again leans me toward electric.

Watch this space!

--
Pete