Single-channel Vic Smeed "Bimbo"

Anything with a propeller
flea_flyer

Single-channel Vic Smeed "Bimbo"

Post by flea_flyer »

I recently finished building a Vic Smeed Bimbo and maidened it last week. It is powered by a Mills 0.75 and it flew wonderfully well on the single-channel (proportional) set-up. Wings and tailplane covered in Oracover Lite. Fuselage covered in heavyweight tissue and dope.
Go back in time to when I built it: I was bit heavy-handed with the fuelproofer on the rear of the fuselage, so it ended up tail heavy. My solution included the following simple measures: a new built-up tailplane to replace the heavy solid balsa sheet one, kevlar thread pull-pull rudder control and a heavier battery for the radio. To balance the model, I used a 2S Lipo (850mAh) battery for which I put together a simple 7805 regulator to run the receiver and single servo. All good so far as the setup worked fine on the bench.
Fast forward to a few weeks back when I tried to maiden the model but found the battery completely dead. It didn't take long for the penny to drop. I had used a standard r/c switch harness between the regulator output and the receiver and had completely ignored the fact that the regulator stayed connected to the battery and slowly but surely drained it. After cursing my ignorance I replaced the ruined battery, but only after re-wiring the switch to between the battery and the regulator. Problem solved!
I think the Bimbo is a bit under-rated as a single channel model. It has a good glide and handles a breeze well. I'm really pleased with mine! Some pics included (taken before the maiden) to give the general idea of the model.
Attachments
Simple lines, simple model, good flyer
Simple lines, simple model, good flyer
Showing the new built-up tailplane
Showing the new built-up tailplane
Dave

Re: Single-channel Vic Smeed "Bimbo"

Post by Dave »

I can recommend the 'vape' batteries!

You might need a bit of lead if you used the most common size of 550mah but I use 2 in series driving an old CD Rom motor with the original
ferrite drum magnet.

Overkill with the Mills for flight power but they're cheaper than lead!