Doing the triple

Anything with a propeller
Stew

Doing the triple

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

Have you, or has anyone you know, ever (successfully or otherwise) attempted or achieved 'The triple' ?
(designed and built own engine, model, and radio).
Shaun

Re: Doing the triple

Post by Shaun »

If I dig out one of my first kit built brushless motors (based on cd ROM motor parts) bung it in my od indoor aerobatic model I'm almost there. :D
Martin

Post by Martin »

Like Shaun, I've built my own brushless motors from kits (designed by others). I've also designed and made 'toy' brushed electric motors - but they were only made to run on the bench and never had sufficient power-to-weight to fly a model. I've designed and built plenty of models and radios - including the 'actuator' parts that move the control surfaces.

I suppose I could design and make a motor with enough power to get off the ground - but it wouldn't be nearly as power-dense, nor as practical as the ones you can buy for a few pounds. If I did it to 'do the triple', it would likely be a brushed motor, so I wouldn't have the problem of designing a building my own brushless ESC. However, I would need to design and build a commutator and brushes - which wouldn't be easy.

No chance of me designing and building my own battery though. I've made demo batteries from stacks of coins and washers with blotting paper soaked in salt water or vinegar - but they would never be light enough or practical enough to power a plane.

Do rubber motors count? Designing those is just a matter of selecting the amount, and type, of rubber to use - and how to pre-tension and lubricate it. I think that might count as cheating, though. :lol:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Good point, I had an RC converted rubber powered Veron Queens Cup Winner.
About 4ft wingspan from memory. I even carved the prop..
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...I would probably reach 2 &1/2
I have designed airplanes not least the Quickie Ghost with its custom GG DIY actuator
viewforum.php?f=86
Built a motor when I was a teen, at that time we had a member in the club that was a teacher at a machining vocational school that assisted me in making a motor...by the way, it runs and has flown!
20230204_184947.jpg
The casting was done in house with the help of my dad and afterward I was coached/tutored by him through the making as he gave me different assignment in such way I was able to make it, a small piece at the time.

.....and I'm flying my own R/C System, the MiniPelle and MaxiPelle at least as hardware as I'm dependent of Phil and Mike for the software.
20230204_190503.jpg
I would imaging as technology progress it will be harder and harder to achieve the triple compared to how it was in the early days when it probably was more close to be a necessity.
Cheers,

Tobe
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

2 out of 3 in one instance.
Built aircraft and engine from scratch, Piper Vagabond with a 4 stroke side valve everyone knows as a mini-Briggs and Stratton.
Aircraft, like many other things, went in the 2013 flood.

Built a single channel radio back in the early 70's.
In those days getting hold of semi-conductor components no where as easy as it is these days.

Engine from castings we made here and it was later converted to water cooled.
Originally had points driven off the rear shaft of the cam with spark ignition and 1/4" spark plug which I made here also.
Has done many many hours driving a scale model Neptune boat around the local pond, now on glow and methanol.

short video here........ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga7fnJ4NRfQ
Attachments
DSCF2792.JPG
Engine.jpg