Dick's Dream

Anything with a propeller
Stew

Dick's Dream

Post by Stew »

Hi all.

'Dicks Dream' build in progress. Fuselage and tail done, wing next. Would welcome suggestions on power.... (will be electric).
Anyone got one who can suggest suitable power? I would like a little bit of oomph but not too much.

it will be rudder only with a waggly bottom provided by one of Tobe's little actuators.

Photos to follow!

Stew.
Shaun

Re: Dick's Dream

Post by Shaun »

Hi Stew,

I had a very similar sized model to a Dicks Dream and it flew well on a 1811 - 2000 motor, 2s lipo and a GWS 5x3 prop. It had Phil's prototype Adams pulser in and an original Adams actuator.

Shaun.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi Shaun.

Thanks for that. I have one of those 'in stock'...I shall give it a go.

I looked at the website of a chap in the USA who produces 3D printed Cox engines that are used as mounts for electric motors, but the cost of shipping was crippling. Wonder if there is anyone in the UK who does these? Would seem ideal for our purposes as many of us use electric motors on models that were designed for the COX engines.

https://willynillies.com/buy-here/ols/c ... tor-mounts
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Hi Stew

I'd be happy to print a dummy Cox motor mount for you - if it's an .049 size that you are after I already have a spare one printed, which I did to check the motor mount hole positions. If you need a smaller version just let me know the dimensions of the mounting holes on the rear of the motor when mounted, drop me a PM with your address and I'll print and pop one in the post. They aren't quite as fancy as the Willie Nillies units, which are printed in different colours, mine are in white PLA and use the model from Thingiverse, scaled down to fit the hole centres on the 1106 motor that I'm using.

cheers

Brian
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi. PM sent.

Stew.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

This is the printed Cox Babe Bee on the test bench. It uses an 1806 motor and is fitted with a 7x3 prop and a 2 cell lipo.
I intend to use this setup on the Santa Maria.

cox049.jpg
Stew

Post by Stew »

Looks the dog's danglies that! nice job.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Dick's Dream progress so far. Loosely tacked together for the obligatory '80% done, 80% still to do' photo. Need to contrive a method of fitting the Tobe actuator and finish off sheeting underneath.
Battery bay is underneath the nose.
20230703_205108.jpg
Oops, need to finish the wing tips too..
20230703_205159[1].jpg
rudderonlybird

Post by rudderonlybird »

Not sure this will help much. My Dick's Dream original foam wing kit had the Cox TD .020 engine, Cox 'Blue Can' fuel, with a Cox 4 1/2-2 black nylon prop, using the Ace R/C Pulse Commander system and the Baby Twin actuator. Really fast, could not look away for traffic. Didn't last overly long :shock:

Looks good, built-up wing really nice. Good work.

Marc
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi Marc.

Thanks. I would love an original kit, but I think they may be quite rare now! I just built mine off a plan. I've been doing it in small bits since Christmas :o
My power setup for this one may be a little more sedate than the Cox. They produce a lot of power for their size.

Looking forward to seeing how it flies.

Stew.