Skyleader Target Drone

Anything with a propeller
Mike_K

Skyleader Target Drone

Post by Mike_K »

Now for something completely different to normal... a 1970s target drone made by Skyleader and used by the British Army from the mid-70s through to the mid-80s when the Army started using other manufacturers as Skyleader ceased trading.

A complete Skyleader Target Drone
A complete Skyleader Target Drone
Three fuselages, one unused
Three fuselages, one unused

I was first aware of them when RCM&E did an article on their use in the September 1975 issue and at the time, I thought it would be fun to have one, not realising that it would take nearly 50 years to get one! Well, three of them.

A few years back, Stuart Mackay put me in touch with Mark Agate who had come by three of them, but it was during covid and travelling to collect them proved impossible and then forgotten. Mark is a really interesting modeller, he designed a PCM control system for his final year University project, the design was offered to Skyleader but they had already done a deal with Microprop (or Multiplex, Mark can't remember which) and the design was eventually sold to Fleet and used as the basis of the Fleet PCM and Omega sets. Mark's original set used a Skyleader Courier Special MK2 case as he lived just up the road from the Skyleader factory and blagged one from Stewart Uwins (the owner of Skyleader). Mark fancied getting another one and somebody suggested I might have one. So Mark contacted me again and we agreed to meet up and swap a Skyleader Courier Special MK2 (I had 4 or 5 of them) for the Skyleader drones. I think we were both pleased with the deal.

A Merco 61 up front
A Merco 61 up front

The drone is similar to many 1970s designs, with a glass fibre fuselage, foam veneered wings and balsa stabiliser and control surfaces. They all used Merco 61 engines with no silencer and Skyleader Clubman Super radio gear with three channels being used, there was no rudder control. They were hand-launched and I've seen reports that they had a servo-operated parachute recovery system, though I see no reason why they couldn't be landed normally, probably on a shooting range there was no suitable landing site? The servos were grey-cased Skyleader SRC1 using the linear output, the grey colour designating military specification (whatever that was). The Merco 61 in the airframe I got has a finless head, our club expert on old engines tells me it looks like a marine head, I don't know if it's original and why you'd use a marine head on an aircraft.

A type of wadding used as packing
A type of wadding used as packing
Normal balsa elevator pushrod
Normal balsa elevator pushrod

At first, I thought a mouse had made a home in all the fuselages, it looked like grass, but it's actually a type of wadding (I think that is what it's called), around the tank and receiver. There's a 12oz tank (Carl Goldberg I think) in the nose and I found an ancient lump of lead to get the c of g correct. The elevator uses a normal balsa push rod. In fact everything is just like a normal 1970s model.

So another project on the to-do-list, get it flying again. I don't know if the engine is beyond repair, it's seized solid and badly corroded and it will need a new carb as a minimum. My club site wouldn't allow unsilenced engines, so I need to find a Merco or P&R silencer as well. I have hundreds of SCR1 servo's, so will fit some unused SRC1 servo's, probably with a Tobe/Mike servo amplifier as they outperform the original SRC 419P/Ferranti ZN419CE amplifier. And obviously, I'll use my Skyleader Clubman Super conversion to fly it.
Pchristy

Re: Skyleader Target Drone

Post by Pchristy »

I have a feeling that these - or something very similar - were used during the Falklands war. The naval gunners used them for practice whilst the fleet was steaming south.

Might explain the parachute?

--
Pete
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

The engines are probably just gummed up with old castor oil, careful use of a heat gun around the fins and a good dose of WD40/ other penetrating oils are available (!) should free it off. New BA socket head bolts, bearings and rings are available if required.
The carb probably just needs a good bath in some methanol or alcohol to free it off.
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Our club mower runs on red diesel. When I get an engine to unstick, I drop it in a Kilner jar of red diesel that I keep for the purpose! A day or two soaking in that works wonders!

Actually, contaminated diesel is even better! Most garages have a supply of diesel contaminated with petrol from mis-fuelled cars, and will often donate some for free!

--
Pete
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Where is the c of g Mike...... 25% from the leading edge at a guess or is it marked on the wing or fus. Also is the tailplane from sheet or is it veneered foam?
Cheers,
Shaun.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun wrote: 22 Oct 2023, 00:49 Where is the c of g Mike...... 25% from the leading edge at a guess or is it marked on the wing or fus. Also is the tailplane from sheet or is it veneered foam?
Cheers,
Shaun.
The c of g is slightly behind 25% at the root, but the wing leading edge is slightly swept back, so it's 25% at mean average chord. The stabiliser and elevator are solid sheet balsa, the fin is moulded into the fuselage and there is no rudder (3 channel, ailerons elevator, motor)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Cheers.👍
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Bullet hole vinyls required I think for historical accuracy. :D
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 10:39 Bullet hole vinyls required I think for historical accuracy. :D
Put real holes in the wing & tail feathers then cover them with clear film/laminating film. :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

They are pretty robust; they used to simply patch the holes with "100 knot tape" (the self-adhesive aluminium stuff) or just black Duct tape and throw them up again. Amazing how many holes were gathered before something vital was hit.

Back in about 1974, I led an SH task (72 Sqn) to Castlemartin range (S. Wales) one weekend to support a reserve Army unit. As they had Bren guns and thousands of rounds of antique ammunition for disposal down the barrels, they had optimistically bid for two helicopters and two target teams, expecting one of each at best. Sometimes the stars align on an otherwise quiet weekend and the unit found itself feeding 4 Wessex crews (a training task for some junior pilots) and four target drone teams who were treating that weekend in a similar way. After the Army had had their fill of helicopter troop drills they still had spare targets and the aircrew were invited to have a go - there was a lot of lead flying around.

On another occasion at a Warminster firepower demonstration, one of these targets flew across the front of the spectator stands through a hail of .762 tracer from several AA troops (about eight lorry-mounted twin GPMG, plus another handful of riflemen) immediately below us. The drone flew through the converging tracer apparently unaffected drawing loud applause from the spectators that was definitely not on the menu.

Sorry, I just had strong dose of Nostalgia !
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)