Single Channel ‘jets’

Anything with a propeller
Shaun

Re: Single Channel ‘jets’

Post by Shaun »

Test flew the Lightning today with Phil on the camera. A superb plane to fly and will go worryingly slow. I really expected it stall and fall out of the sky but it doesn't. It will also climb almost vertical with a w.o.t. (but there again just over 2lbs with 500w its not a surprise)

It has brilliant manners and would make a great trainer. Rudder banks it over, release and it stays there going round and round like a control liner until a dab of opposite straightens it up. I modified mine with tailerons (opens up the flight envelope but you really don't need them); rudder only rolls etc are easy.

Plan / article will be in the next but one RCM&E.

Cheers,

Shaun
DSC_0155.JPG
Last edited by Shaun on 07 Feb 2020, 02:29, edited 1 time in total.
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

The Lightning looks very tempting. I believe there was a Mig (21?) drawn up at about the same time, will that also be appearing here? :D
Gordon
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Afraid I couldn't source the Mig Gordon; it's not in the RCM&E or Sarik archive but it would be easy to modify the Lightning plan to be the Mig. They are very similar. The Mig would be a quicker build as well.

It is a perfect rudder throttle model but my taileron mod works well also.

Shaun.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 23:38 Afraid I couldn't source the Mig Gordon; it's not in the RCM&E or Sarik archive but it would be easy to modify the Lightning plan to be the Mig. They are very similar. The Mig would be a quicker build as well.

It is a perfect rudder throttle model but my taileron mod works well also.

Shaun.
Hi Shaun

The Lightning looks really superb, the red fin and wing against the blue sky really set it off. And I love how you've painted the redtop missile on the side.

I've got the original August 1970 RCM&E that the plans for the Lightning and Mig21 were featured in (in fact I've got 2 copies, thanks Phil) and I've scanned the "thumbnail" plan included in the original article and attached it as a pdf file, scaled to give the correct 36" wingspan. If you zoom in you can just read the text for wood sizes and dimensions etc. I think most of us would be able to build from it, but it isn't as good quality as an original plan would be (it wasn't a free full-size plan included with the magazine).

The Lightning and MiG21 article and Lightning Plan are available on the 'zone (just search James Osborne as there quite a few Lightnings).
Attachments
MiG21.pdf
(20.82 MiB) Downloaded 250 times
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Thanks for that Mike. If there 's sufficient positive response from the article then I'll get RCM&E to redraw it and I'm sure Neil will do a rib set. Most of the wood sizes can be gleaned from the Lightning plan.

Another idea would be to make the Mig from Depron.

3mm for the wing and tail skins, 6 mm for the fus and a few formers from liteply plus the odd bit of balsa.. You would build one in next to no time.

Shaun.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Shaun wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 16:40 ..... Another idea would be to make the Mig from Depron...... You would build one in next to no time.

Shaun.
Now your talkin!! :P
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

At Last, Go-Jet maidened! As our field is blessed with a strip of long grass I carried out a few hand launches first and as the GJ showed little urge to do anything other than dive straight in I added 1/8" packing under the l/e of the wing before getting a trusty model thrower to sling said model skywards.
Need not have worried because it went off nice and straight. Probably the easiest ever single channel model maiden I have ever had.
Whizzed round the sky and ended up with some nice big jet loops and rolls to finish with.
Well chuffed with this one. :D

p.s Sorry about the colour my phone camera doesn't render bright red at all well
Attachments
Go-Jet maiden.jpg