New mystery model

Anything with a propeller
tiptipflyer

Re: New mystery model

Post by tiptipflyer »

My last build is almost finished, just need to add the rudder-linkage, receiver, batteries and canopy.
This Graupner Trabant was the first radio controlled glider available from Graupner in the fities.
SAM_4300.JPG
SAM_4301.JPG
Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Not seen one of these before Frank - lovely job! What is the "actuator" just in font of the wing?

It looks very much like a predecessor to the Amigo, was it?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Yes indeed Wayne, it was the predecessor of the first Amigo, but a lot bigger due to the size of the radios at that time.
Very few information about it can be found in the internet.
The canopy was and will be in this model constructed as a full glas house so that you can see all the electronics.
The actuator is a Graupner Telematic motorized single channel compound actuator from that time.
I also have a small proportional servo in a 3D printed case of a Telematic for proportional S/C flights. (Will be used for the maiden)
Trabant 2.jpg
Trabant 5.jpg
Trabant 6.jpg
Telematic1.JPG
Telematic4.JPG
Cheers
Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Terrific project Frank, the servos too!

I can't help associating the name with the rather less than wonderful car from the former DDR and I'm sure the glider wasn't named after that! :?
What does "Trabant" mean?

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

PaulJ wrote: 28 Feb 2021, 08:19
I can't help associating the name with the rather less than wonderful car from the former DDR and I'm sure the glider wasn't named after that! :?
What does "Trabant" mean?

Paul
my initial thought process also Paul - we've probably watched too many Jimmy Bond movies in our (or mine at least 8-) ) misspent youth :o ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Re: Trabant

Completely off topic, but an amusing story! About ten years ago I travelled to Ballenstedt for the F3C (helicopter) European Championships. It must have been part of the old "East Germany", because Trabants were everywhere - and all in immaculate condition! Probably better than when they left the factory!

I had travelled over in my 1971 SAAB V4, which had all the locals staring at it in some bemusement - I don't think they'd seen one before! One evening, going back from the airfield to my hotel, I spotted a vehicle coming the other way that, from a distance, looked like a bright orange road-roller. As it got closer, it turned out to be a Trabant, painted bright orange (what we used to call "Vomit Orange" back in the 60s!) and with the widest wheels you've ever seen on a road car! As it passed, I was staring out the windscreen thinking "What the hell is that?!" only to spot the teenage driver of the Trabant similarly staring at my car, and obviously thinking exactly the same as me!

Image100_3200 by Peter Christy, on Flickr

My car was something of a hit with the German club where the British team practised, not least because it has a set of Maserati Air Horns, which play "La Marselleise" very loudly! Every time I went up to that flying site, the club committee kept imploring me to set the horns off again - much to the annoyance of the French team, who were also present....!

:lol:

--
Pete
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Trabant means satellite, one that stays with you all the time, a true companion.
The Graupner Trabant and the Trabant car of the former GDR came at about the same time at 1958, I guess they had nothing to do with each other.
The Graupner Trabant was constructed by Fred Militky, the father of the famous Amigo.

Frank
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've been inspired by the Trabant Frank built so I've picked up an Amigo today. Not my favourite Mk 1 version but a ready built Mk 4; it's close enough. Will fly on reeds as soon as allowed.

Shaun.
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Shaun, you will have great fun flying it, as I always have.
The Amigo is always a good choice for reeds flying. I personally also prefer the S/C early MK1 version, but the Amigo II is also a great flyer.
Amigo16.JPG
Amigo2k.jpg
Frank
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

A new model will soon be ready. It is from 1960, a Hegi Motorspatz.
Wingspan is 2m, it will be powered by an electric Taifun Hobby replica and guided via rudder and elevator using a one of my reeds radios.
SAM_4328.JPG
SAM_4329.JPG
SAM_4331.JPG
Frank