Control line wires

Keep within the lines
James

Control line wires

Post by James »

Just noticed that Superline is available on ebay. It may always have been but it did cease many years ago and I hadn't noticed it. I believe the guy who sold it in the past (sorry name escapes me) worked in a tyre factory which shut down? the wire being that used in tyre walls. I've always used this as it is cheap and has always worked for me. If someone treads on your lines its no big deal 1 KM length is just £68.95 250m is 29.95 +P&P. At that price it is disposable. I seem to recall it was popular with combat flyers? At moment only 1 and 3 strand is being offered, in the past there was 7 strand perhaps there will be again? I'm building a new CL model and got out my two favourite aerobatic planes that I haven't flown for about 5 years and can't wait to get to the flying site next week.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPERLINE-FI ... 3963687717
Spike S

Re: Control line wires

Post by Spike S »

It would appear that the superline plating can be degraded unpredictably, resulting in corrosion and failure of the steel inner.
Have a look at this thread on the Barton Forum.
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16289
Perhaps someone is dumping old stuff ?
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
James

Post by James »

I just looked up when I bought 500m of 7 strand and 250m of 3 strand. I've used some of it but have a lot left. I occasionally spray on WD40 maybe once a every two or three years when in storage and it is fine. Lines I made up 20 years ago are dull but not corroded I used to wipe down after use then when on a spool spray with WD40. However if you solder it corrosion does occur to leadout end I use cotton, glue and crimp, not failed yet. I will use those lines soon on my Cougar and Aerobat both 55' lines power being an OS25 FP. Oh yes I remember when I bought as I went to collect one evening and driving home later on bridge over the Thames heading from Muswell Hill to Wallington it was 20 August 1989 the night the Marchioness sank with great one loss of life. 32 years not bad. Haven't used on a large model though. No idea if latest stuff is as good and as mentioned the wire was used in the road tyre industry the guy who sold it was able to retrieve spools which had to be changed prematurely for new I guess to reduce the risk of production grinding to a halt? Well that's how I understood it. Get your CL models out Spike and when we have a meet I'll email you.
F2B

Post by F2B »

Hi James,
I've been flying aerobatics since ~1970.
The first and only times I've tried superline must have been in the late 1970-ies. (lured by the low price, I'm Dutch after all... :oops: :mrgreen: )

Still clearly remembering the feel at the handle.... :o
As if I was flying on rubber bands, sluggish response. impossible to fly anywhere as precise as I could (back then... ;) )
On a combat wing with Oliver Tiger, however, I didn't experience anything strange. Must have something to do with cable load.

I once had a similar experience, not as pronounced, but yet...
These lines were standard 7 strand stainless American stuff, SIG or Sullivan, I can't remember.
Controls were not as 'direct' as with Laystrate I'd been using before.

But Laystrate went belly up decades ago.

So I tried PAW's Staystrate and haven't been dissappointed as yet. Same feel, maybe even a bit better quality.
Not cheap, but value for money, IMHO.
My friend Barry even flies on .015, where I always used .018
We both have either .60 or bigger engines or electric of similar power.
28-12-2014.jpg
BB4.jpg
WK 2016 pits2.jpg
7a.jpg
3a.jpg
2a.jpg
NK 2016.jpg
F2B or not to be....