Going to build a CL model... or two

Keep within the lines
NeilMac

Re: Going to build a CL model... or two

Post by NeilMac »

That's great advice, thanks.

The first step may well be to get a 'cooking' motor, say a 1.5cc diesel of some sort and built a trainer, it is a good few years since I last flew CL :oops: It might be a good idea to remind myself how it is done. Alternatively I could go with one of Den's models electric models, they have the advantage of being very quiet, as well as being pretty tough.

Never the less, I would still like to contemplate something retro and cool, and not go straight to a Nobler ARTF. Designs from the 1950's, 60's or 70's appeal, after that many designs look a little too purposeful for my tastes.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Just been watching some F2B on youtube...... they've all gone to magic lectric stuff. :o

Makes sense I guess, no mixture to go off part way through a flight, easily programmable electronics for exact timed runs, no mess to clean off the planes, no fuel to splosh about in the back of the car, less noise.... that one was the joy of moving from 1/8th IC cars to 1/10th electric... no more Sunday evening headaches.

Well, my idea is still to at least get these engines in models that can be flown from time to time.... liking the look of the Mercury Crusader.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

There wasn't a full sized plan in the Crusader kit just an assembly diagram with reduced sized views from memory. Has someone drawn it up?

Shaun..
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Result... my memory still works. 😀 2nd sheet was never included in the kit.

Shaun. ..
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I have been trawling back through old copies of Aeromodeller looking at designs and adverts, it really brings home with a bang (or possibly a whimper) just how the hobby has changed.

But then I suppose that is what nostalgia is all about.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Biggest problem is regaining desensitisation of the balance organs from 50 years ago. If you or the model are not capable of continuous horizontal eights or passing the handle to someone more accomplished, you could suffer. Beauty of E-CL for newbies and returners is that you can programme the motor to stop before get to the point where you fall over.
A few years ago the South Oxford Nostalgistas experimented with ecl and various timers resulting in much fun and a lot of falling over giggling. Conclusion:- "Must do more"
Blue Pants (ozone) with a few minor fuz mods for battery/timer stowage and access makes a brill ecl stunter and seems an ideal size for all round performance using about 150 to 200W.
Having been impressed flying one of Den's 'Trainer' models with experimental RC throttle built into the handle, I recently completed and maidened a Mercury Marvin, using a pistol grip Tx in the left hand for complete throttle control. Bell motor, 2S 1300LiPo. Tx/Rx combo here:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-2-4g ... tore=en_us
Urgent mods now for more outer tip weight and rudder offset - I can't run backwards like I used to :shock:
P.S. I built Marvin in a wave of nostalgia but consider it a bit too small to be an easy ecl aircraft.
DSCF4011c.jpg
DSCF4012c.jpg
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Brilliant information, thank's very much Spike.

Just been looking at a couple of articles by Jim Mannall in July and August 1973 Aeromodeller's. As I was not capable of 'Flying the Schedule' back then, I don't think I will be attempting it 45 plus years later, a wingover or two and a couple of controlled loops would do me.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

There is a thriving c/l collective down 'yer in the South with the Editor of S&T a very active participant.
Personally, I find that 'flat plate' wings have poor performance as soon as you attempt vertical manoeuvres. Simple/rugged profile designs with built-up wings may be the best way in to ecl for a novice.
If you intend to explore ecl, accounts of early experiments by the "South Oxford Nostalgistas", that originally appeared in my Club Newsletter and S&T some 6 or 7 years ago, are here:
Watts Around 1.pdf
(121.46 KiB) Downloaded 262 times
Watts Around2.pdf
(352.67 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
When estimating power required for a converted IC design, a figure of 150W per Pound seems to be a good aiming point.
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I'm not a million miles away from you in sunny Weston by the Mud, so there could be the possibility of a meet up sometime.

I will haul out as many old plans as I can find from my dusty store. Some have become separated from the rest, but I remember a nice 30" ish model I made a flew with a 1.5cc Enya I owned, I don't recall what happened to either the model or the engine.