Springer Tug

Often forgot about but boats are a great way for the youngsters to get into radio control or even the oldies!
bluejets

Springer Tug

Post by bluejets »

Almost ready to run the Rivierra shown in an earlier post.
Virus put the mokkers on it for the time being.
Friend of mine thought the venue where the ski boats run would be an excellent place. Flat water , fresh, sandy shorefront , no problems with the odd bit of noise compared to the blown V8's that run there on some weekends.

Next thought was, how to get the Rivierra back if the engine konks out.
Had several attempts at rescue boats over the years and none really successful although have seen some good ones on the web lately.

All being equal, I decided on the Springer Tug. A bit different to say the least but should perform ok I think.
Motor (540..?) and esc are brushed type simply as that was left over from a rebuild on a Tamiya Ford truck.
Make all the running gear here myself with water lubricated leaded bush in the water end and oil lube bronze bush up the top end. Stainless 3/16" shaft and stainless rudder.

2200 2s Lipo with sound system on an sd card read by an Arduino and pumped out from a single channel 18W amp and a pair of speakers inside. Sound is from a Messerschmitt fighter starting and running at different revs(6 samples) but that's ok. Sort of sounds a bit on the marine diesel side.

Length ...600mm
Width.... 270mm
Height....350mm
Mostly plywood and sealed with epoxy resin, painted in elcheapo enamel spray from local auto store.

The radio currently is an older Turnigy 9x but they don't really lend themselves to boats and cars given the startup on the radio requires throttle to be set at low, which in this instance turns out to be full reverse.
I'm sure there is a work-around somewhere for this somewhere, just haven't had the time yet to search for an answer.
Attachments
Springer_3.jpg
Springer_2.jpg
Springer_1.jpg
MaxZ

Re: Springer Tug

Post by MaxZ »

Coïncidences, Coïncidences.......
I have built a Springer Tug, right now (at this very moment) I am experimenting with Arduino and MP3 modules and I have a Turnigy Tx , but a TGY i6.
The TGY i6 has the same problem, but after switching on and bringing the throttle to zero, surely you can reset the stick to neutral before you switch on the Rx?

Cheers,
Max.
P1000045.jpg
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Good point...brain in lockdown.

Must be with all this Corona Virus thing going on...... :roll: :roll:
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

If you need the code, layout etc. just drop a line here
Not my code, just modded to suit what I needed.
Cheers Jeff
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Thanks Jeff, but I am sorted. I found enough information on the net to get some results. Anyway, experimenting with things like this is good for passing the time in these lockdown times.

Btw. your Tug is a bit bigger than mine, mine is an own design in the "standard" size of 400x200 mm. Have you thought about how to catch your Riviera when it stalls? I have a small model sailing boat ( a "Footy"), and I intend to recover it with the Tug using a floating U-shaped catcher, made out of these foam tubes used as toys in swimming pools, and somehow fixed to the forward bumpers of the Tug.

Cheers,
Max.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Guys, can I point you in the direction of this posting by Neil of this parish. He built a brilliant "Retriever" for floatplanes but it would also retrieve tugs! ......

http://www.mode-zero.uk/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=611

And Neil's video... https://youtu.be/gFhbm626xnU

Paul
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

MaxZ wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 08:52 Btw. your Tug is a bit bigger than mine, mine is an own design in the "standard" size of 400x200 mm. Have you thought about how to catch your Riviera when it stalls? I have a small model sailing boat ( a "Footy"), and I intend to recover it with the Tug using a floating U-shaped catcher, made out of these foam tubes used as toys in swimming pools, and somehow fixed to the forward bumpers of the Tug.

Cheers,
Max.
I scaled mine to what I thought would suit, ie retrieving the Rivierra.
Have seen the U style, some which seem to work ok also.

Over the years have tried all sorts of retrieval, some work(sort of) others not so good.
Slippery suckers these boats and difficult to zero in on, especially at a distance.

Idea with the Springer is approach from whatever angle and simply push.
With the large frontal buoyancy and the extended front buffers it should be ok.
The buffers also have exterior carpet glued to their front face which should increase the "adhesion" to the polished wooden surface of the Rivierra.
Freeboard on the latter is around 120mm and the buffers should cover that easily.

Paul, took a look at that unit but I doubt it would push anywhere near the required amount for the Rivierra.
It looks very light and I think it would simply slide around all over the place with next to zero headway.