Arduino pro mini programming

Arduino projects on the go
AlexC

Arduino pro mini programming

Post by AlexC »

I am having problems programming my Pro Mini. I have tried my FTDI232 USB adapter at 5V connected to it but to no avail. Is there a particular USB adapter recommended for this board?

Alex.
Martin

Re: Arduino pro mini programming

Post by Martin »

The FTDI adapter should work, providing you have the correct bootloader on the Pro Mini.

If you've previously used a USBasp to upload a sketch, then the bootloader will be missing. To restore the bootloader, you need to reconnect the USBasp and use the 'burn bootloader' option of the Arduino IDE. You only have to do that once, and then you can use the serial upload via your FTDI interface for further programming.

Many people on this forum always use a USBasp for programming Arduinos - even ones that have a built-in serial interface such as the Nano. Programming via USBasp has several advantages - the main reason for NOT using a USBasp would be if you need to keep pins 11, 12, 13, free for other uses.
kalle123

Post by kalle123 »

The usual adapters for programming are FTDI, CP2102, CP2104, CH340, PL2303 ...

The FTDI is the one, which can easily configured for special settings with https://ftdichip.com/utilities/#ft_prog

I would check, that the FTDI is in default setting and to confirm, the adapter is working, do a 'loop-back' test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu7Z2FryD_A

And have a close look at the mc on your pro mini. Have some here with a LGT8F328P chip on the board ;)

br KH
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

AlexC wrote: 20 Apr 2021, 20:15 I am having problems programming my Pro Mini. I have tried my FTDI232 USB adapter at 5V connected to it but to no avail. Is there a particular USB adapter recommended for this board?

Alex.
Had similar problems lately with a new batch of clone promini.
Checked drivers were ok and the correct com port selected, switch back to a couple of promini's from previous order and uploaded the blink sketch no problem.
Switched back to the new batch, no upload or upload just hangs.
Tried re-burning the bootloader and it worked one time only, then back to no upload.

Dragged out an isp programmer and upload works every time.
Video on what to use and which pins to connect to given in the attached video link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjAdDY2JjBk

Video is mainly on custom bootloader but standard program upload follows the same basic routine.
AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I borrowed a known working FTDI USB adapter from a friend and it also could not talk to the pro mini board.
What threw me was the blink program was running, so I assumed the board was working fine. Big mistake!

The faulty board now in the recycling bin. I did find a nifty little program for testing the FTDI adapters though, called PuTTY.

Thanks for all the help and advice.
Alex
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Did you have the correct drivers for the programmer?
Did you try using the alternate programmers like suggested where no problems are encountered?
If the blink program was running, the unit would normally be assessed as ok and if any upload trouble, as Martin says, usually bootloader.