Question on uploading

Arduino projects on the go
jmendoza

No joy, no PPM output

Post by jmendoza »

Thanks for the jumper definitions Flynn, I copied them.

Now, the board is wired up, but when powered up no PPM output. I get 3.3 volts on one end of each of the pots and about half of that voltage on the pot center wipers, voltage changes when I move the sticks. I put in one of Phil G's pro mini boards and it works fine. Apparently the 3.3 volt version I have is either not compatible, or dead. Tried the calibration, no joy either,

Jay
jmendoza

It's now working, well sort of...

Post by jmendoza »

I did some poking around and found that D13 has the PPM signal, but for some reason it's not at RXD on the the other header where I did the mod to have it get the supply voltage for the module. Do I need to modify the program line that tells it where to put the PPM output? The channel 7 toggle does not do anything either, but the switch is working (D11)

Jay
FBMinis

Re: Question on uploading

Post by FBMinis »

Is it possible to use a CP2102 USB to TTL converter to upload code to an Arduino Nano and use the serial monitor? I can program my Nano through the ICSP with the USBASP but I tried two USB cables and it gets stuck while uploading.

At first I thought it was the bootloader missing but I uploaded it again through the Arduino IDE using the USBASP.
Flynn

Post by Flynn »

Jay - this is the 7 channel encoder sketch - right?.. line 30 is the one you want to change....

static int ppm = 13, ppmPulse = 300, neutralPulse = 1200; //normally set pin 13 as ppm

I think if you want the PPM stream out on RXD then you need to change the 13 to 0

The default pin for the channel 7 toggle is D12... static int sw_tog = 12; // toggle channel 7

is that why you can't get it to work?

FB - I have had a couple of the CH340G serial-USB chips go south on cheap Nano's in the past. The ICSP still worked though. Perhaps you have the same? I tried using a TTL-Serial adapter to program an Uno but got
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x68 errors..

I tried pulling RST low but still no joy..there must be some signal processing missing but I don't know enough about the process to debug it. you can always resort to the ICSP...
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
FBMinis

Post by FBMinis »

Same results here. I still have to try with a 3rd usb cable, as these two are about 70cm and have a ferrite choke (came with Canon digicam), but I can swear it worked in the past...
jmendoza

Success!

Post by jmendoza »

Well, it took me long enough did it not? Without the help from Phil and you guys, I finally was able to get the Pro Mini Strong 3.3V 8MHz boards working. I had just about given up and they were in my waste bin but you guys saved them, and me. Was able to change the output from D13 to RXD (D0), and used 32 as a value to get one second response on the slow channel 7.
Many thanks to all,
Jayman
DSCN1089.JPG
DSCN1090.JPG
Dave McDDD

Post by Dave McDDD »

As a newbie who has been playing with Arduino for less than a week, I was never able to figure out how to get the USBasp programmer to work with the Arduino IDE program on my Windows 10 PC. Yesterday I stumbled onto this thread, did what Flynn said, and PRESTO! I'm finally able to program the Nano from the USBasp programmer!

Today was another milestone where I was able to upload Phil's 7 Channel Encoder sketch into a Nano on a breadboard, use the sticks on a gutted Heathkit GD-19 as the analog inputs to the encoder, output the signal to an Anylink2, and then watch the servos respond and move on a Tactic receiver. It was a huge thrill to see it finally work!

So thank you Flynn for posting this critical piece of information about the USBasp programmer!
Flynn wrote: 03 Apr 2018, 11:29 You need to install a utility called Zadig (http://zadig.akeo.ie), its purpose is to allow you to select which driver you want to install for several different usb devices, including usbasp. Once installed open zadig and plug the USBasp into your usb port, then select USBasp from the uppermost window - if the window is blank then go to options and tick the list all devices box, USBasp should then be available, then you need to select WinUSB(v6.1.7600.16385) to the right of the green arrow, then select reinstall driver. Once all the magic has happened you should find the USBasp under Universal Serial Bus devices in device manager and your programmer should work in the Arduino IDE.
Built a Heathkit GD-19 in 1969. Been flying RC ever since!
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Dave McDDD wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 02:56 As a newbie who has been playing with Arduino for less than a week,
....... I stumbled onto this thread, did what Flynn said, and PRESTO! I'm finally able to program the Nano from the USBasp programmer!

Today was another milestone where I was able to upload Phil's 7 Channel Encoder sketch into a Nano on a breadboard
......It was a huge thrill to see it finally work!
Hi Dave, great to hear of your success! 👏

Yes, this is a terrific forum and a great gathering of collective experience with a common passion - welcome :)

So what will be your first radio conversion, because I can guarantee you, once you achieve the success of your first working conversion you'll have 'the bug' :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Dave McDDD

Post by Dave McDDD »

Thank you Wayne!
After a lot of google searches, I had tried several other drivers for the USBasp programmer, including using Zadig. All of them let the USBasp show up in the Device Manager, but none of them worked with the Arduino IDE program. After stumbling onto Flynn's advice is this thread the magic driver was found and the programmer now works correctly.

My first goal is to convert an old Heathkit GD-19 to 2.4 using Phil's 7 Channel sketch with a Nano and a "Redboard" shield. There used to be some information about modifying the redboard on Phil's Single Channel RC site, but now I can't find it. Or I'm overlooking it? Would you happen to know where that information is located?

My very first RC radio was a Heathkit GD-19 that I bought and built when I was 15 way back in 1969. I ended up trading it in at a hobby shop several years later for a brand new World Engines Expert 5 channel radio, so I don't have that particular radio anymore. The nostalgia bug bit me so I bought a couple GD-19 radios recently from ebay with the goal of converting them to 2.4. I'd really like to find an FrSky DHT module for the RF section, but haven't been lucky enough to get one yet.

Other conversions will no doubt follow this one. An old Futaba 6FG AM gold box now gathering dust in my shop will be pretty high on the list.
Built a Heathkit GD-19 in 1969. Been flying RC ever since!
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Dave, there's good news & there's bad news :shock:

Bad news - having just completed moving house, virtually everything including my PC & backup drives are still packed in boxes, all marked on the top of each box by the removalists as 'miscellaneous' & which they then stacked 3 boxes high :o
There are good practical reasons why they are removalists and not brain surgeons :lol: :lol:
But....

The Good news - I'm reasonably certain that the detail you seek is in the older/earlier versions of Phil's 7 channel encoder documentation which are still available on the archives page (http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/sc/archive.htm ??)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)