A quick project...The Royal Coachman

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Tobe

A quick project...The Royal Coachman

Post by Tobe »

Just before I turned 10 my dad built for me The Royal Coachman,
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=1302
with the words that from now on you have to build your own models! The one he built was from the Sterling kit that he had brought back to Italy in one of his business trips to the US. The original model was lost during one of its first flight due of a stupid error from dad, we were flying on top of a plateau surrounded by trees and dad forget to release the buddy button on the master Tx as the slave Tx was detached so he lost control of the plane..we heard it landing in the surrounding trees but we could never find it and yes also that one was covered in bright orange japanese tissue.
The original story behind the model was a design published in RCM 1965 intended to be a fast and simple building project for beginners with a 6 channels reed to introduce them to R/C and the plans were mailed out for free except a few dollars for S&H.
The article states that it could be built in a few evenings and depending on the chosen finish it could bring in the air a beginner in a week/10 days...so I decided lets see what could be done and if the articles statement was close to true so sunday night I picked out the wood from the stack and began, and monday afternoon the woodwork was done, the article in somehow tells the truth! ...I used aliphatic and a little epoxy so no cheating with CA.
On tuesday morning in a couple of hours it was doped and covered in japanese tissue, undoubtedly it will not win a concours d'elegance first because it's so ugly that only a builder from scratch could like it and second I tried to build by the instructions.
Undoubtedly the Royal Coachman can be built in a couple of evenings and if you don't go for the full 9 yards with dope and tissue and opting for film instead it would probably be completed in a weekend.
What is missing right now is the "propulsion", I would love to go for IC but unfortunately most flying sites here in Sweden have restricted their usage so electric would probably be my choice and for that reason I moved the firewall forward so the propeller disc is kept in the same position when installing the brushless motor. The only other change from the original is that not having access to a suitable nosewheel it was set up as taildragger.
...I wish I had taken more pictures of the building but everything went at high speed so....
...I wish I had taken more pictures of the building but everything went at high speed so....
20230306_092450.jpg
20230306_092456.jpg
...and yes, after a week of almost spring weather we got a foot of snow and freezing temperatures
...and yes, after a week of almost spring weather we got a foot of snow and freezing temperatures
The original set up...
The original set up...
Here is a  view of the  servo installation, 2 original Kraft with a modern servo amplifier.
Here is a view of the servo installation, 2 original Kraft with a modern servo amplifier.
Cheers,

Tobe
Pchristy

Re: A quick project...The Royal Coachman

Post by Pchristy »

I must be getting old! I remember seeing the plans being published for that in the American RC Modeller magazine.....

:?

--
Pete
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

RC Modeller June 1965....close to 60 years ago Pete!
https://rclibrary.co.uk/title_details.asp?ID=1041
s-l400.png
s-l400.png (282.38 KiB) Viewed 5749 times
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 5749 times

Feel the same

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Just a picture showing the engine installation, I would have preferred an IC setup but unfortunately here around the restrictions are quite severe so I had to opt for the plan B. I could have used a smaller motor but I needed a little weight in the nose and this one was just laying around...
IMG-20230311-WA0000.jpeg
The yellow spacers gives the proper trust line and it's printed in TPU/TPE so it's slightly flexible
Cheers,

Tobe
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Nice job, tail dragger and electric, sorry for the noise restrictions, should fly great, mine does.

I finished a Coachman early last year, went as per the original, OS15 for power and the tricycle gear, only mod I made was to move the lower main spar forward under the top spar, then build the wing with an open construction with just the top of the D box sheeted, saved 3 sheets of 1/16" balsa and, she came out a little lighter too, fly's great and aerobat's like it has ailerons. One thing, I think it could benefit with another 6" of wingspan, I find it could be a little more floatier for training, but I like mine as it is.

Hope you have as much fun with yours as I do with mine.
Cheers,

Dave
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Any pictures of your coachman Dave?
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Have a look here, https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... hman-Build almost 100 pics of my build, lots of detail.

And a shorter one here, viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1378
Cheers,

Dave