Folded metal cases, vinyl-clad steel top, ali base?

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Phil_G

Folded metal cases, vinyl-clad steel top, ali base?

Post by Phil_G »

For as long as I can recall, these folded metal cases have always been a mainstay for electronics projects, two part folded sheet metal with a steel vinyl-clad lid & sides, and an aluminium base, front & rear so easy to drill. The thing is, I cant find any anywhere - and I cant remember what they're called or who makes them so searches dont work for me. What I'm looking for is a large project cabinet, 12-14" square in plan and about 5" deep. A large one of these would be ideal. Its for a 'repro' project so the appearance cant differ too much from the photos. Any ideas please?
Cheers :D
Phil
Attachments
IMG_20201221_160932.jpg
IMG_20201221_161041.jpg
IMG_20201221_161124.jpg
AlexC

Re: Folded metal cases, vinyl-clad steel top, ali base?

Post by AlexC »

Shaun

Post by Shaun »

From memory there are Ali boxes on eBay / Amazon
that could easily be covered in leather cloth vinyl as used on retro tx cases Phil.

Come back Maplins.. all is forgiven
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

These any use?

https://www.teko.co.uk/en/products/fami ... ies/al-box

Not exactly the same, but similar. They also do some others if you trawl through the website.

I remember building digital clocks in those cases you've illustrated, when 7-segment leds first appeared! Before that, we'd made the using Nixie tubes (remember them?)!

Sadly a lot of stuff for home builder is getting very hard to some by!

--
Pete
RogerMacey

Post by RogerMacey »

Hi Phil.
Not sure if you're still looking for a case, but I saw this one at CPC Farnell (Order Code: EN82743) which might be of interest ?
It's smaller (284x160x76mm) than you specified, and looks like the top and bottom are ABS ? But has a metal front (and rear) panel ? Price is £12.28 plus VAT (£14.74 including VAT). It's also available on eBay, but more expensive. If you don't have an account with CPC, I could get it shipped to you, but we'd either have to make the order value up to £17.50 excluding VAT to get free shipping, or pay £4.95 plus VAT for carriage.
Roger.
ArtG200_256x144.jpg
ArtG200_256x144.jpg (23.81 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

I use one of these for smaller stuff.
https://www.jaycar.co.uk/sheet-metal-be ... k/p/TH1763

Is there a machine shop nearby that would fold you up a custom job? It's pretty simple for someone with proper pan break so shouldn't be too expensive.