The ProPo project, a DIY proportional servo

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Tobe

Re: The ProPo project, a DIY proportional servo

Post by Tobe »

Gosh & Whoops...Tobe has discovered KiCad & JLCPCB and as always there's a "guilty one!" that I have to thank and where words are not enough as he has bered with me for a while now, thank you Mike.
I'm born inquisitive not afraid to stretch that bow so as in my first attempt with KiCad to design a new carrier for the ATTiny85 in my GG-Recoder
20210327_133357.jpg
it just happen that I made a poor attempt to make a 328P board in view to make a full custom amplifier for the DIY-ProPo and as JLCPCB have coupons which make things quite cheap, I added few boards for the this 328P...
328P.JPG
..and here is the updated layout
328P_Ver.1.JPG
The funny thing is that the board with all its poor design works but I realized now that KiCad has a bug, if you add and remove filled zones it might happen that you loose a ground connection that will not come up again so there were some trouble shooting initially but with a help of a little patch they were in business.
I have tested the 328P both in a GG set up and as ground for the servo amplifier with both internal as external resonator and it works.
Cheers,

Tobe
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Well done Tobe, I knew you could do it. The grounds becoming "detached" isn't really a bug in KiCAD, if you run the design rule checker (the Ladybird or "bug" icon) and choose "List Unconnected" it will show up the grounds that have become disconnected. The usual fix is to use a ground via if using a 4 or 6 layer board, a two layer board takes more effort and may require a redesign.

Cheers Mike
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I realize it will only do it if you open in the Project! One more lesson learned! ...Rome was not built in one day.
...could I be addicted to be designing my own boards?
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe mate, when do you sleep??? :shock: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

20210417_190443.jpg
Kawasaki Green!

Just a quick note to show where the project is for the time being.
20210417_190542.jpg
There is also a still ongoing version for a Brick with Rx...and yes, it's up and running. The Rx uses Phil's NRF24 accomplishments.
20210417_163700.jpg
20210417_163717.jpg
20210417_163712.jpg
...and to this there's is now a matching Tx encoder, the encoder will work with several options both from Phil and Mike.
20210417_164830.jpg
The pots on the board can be set A4&A5 or A6&A7 by just bridging different pads and better seen here:
Tx 328P nRF24A+.png
Cheers,

Tobe
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Fantastic Tobe! :o :P....... Please could you send a straight "Brick Amp" (no receiver) as and when you think it is ready? The Testbed will be my Veron Robot...... :P

Paul
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

..and here is "my version of a Rx" running Phil's nRF24 code awaiting a suitable casing.
Attachments
20210419_193527.jpg
20210419_214358.jpg
20210419_214245.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 21:24 ..and here is "my version of a Rx" running Phil's nRF24 code awaiting a suitable casing.
I like it - well done sir!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Dearest friends,
Now I can see an end to this my project to build a DIY R/C set up, it has been an amazing journey in which I had occasion to approach issues that I never thought I would, and it has been an amazing experience which has also introduced me to new disciplines.
Many items are my own and I do not have to credit anyone except to all of you for incitement to proceed but there are other parts that would never been completed w/o the previous work of others, so credit must go where it is due.
The soul of this project that makes everything to work and move is the result of the hard work and dedication of Phil G. which I am extremely proud to have as a dear friend. On top of the friendship w/o him and his work everything that I have developed and built would have been just dead items w/o soul, Phil gives the soul to project like this.
So, Phil, w/o you nothing of all this would have happen and no words can express properly my immense gratitude.
Second, I must thank Mike K. that from the day he entered my life has been of great help, assistance, and mentor in those discipline I lack knowledge in not least for the time he has spent answering all my stupid questions.
To get to the point it must be said that all this is the result of an amazing teamwork where each one has contributed with his expertise…to be honest how many projects have you seen that covers this width mechanically, electronically and software wise done by some happy chaps on their spare time and making all accessible? …but do not forget that none of this would have been possible w/o Phil so credit where it belongs, TTHANK YOU PHIL
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Just a quick update...
Here is the final version of the nRF24 Rx running Phil G's code, it's flown and I love it:
nRF24_4ch_Rx-Phil_G.jpg
They will soon be available. My larger prototype is at the side of the final version and should fit in most models but for whom that want more there is a 6 channels in the pipeline with matching Tx.
Attachments
image.png
Cheers,

Tobe