Tobe's nRF2401+ Rx

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Tobe

Tobe's nRF2401+ Rx

Post by Tobe »

Just an update from my workbench and "my" nRF24o1+ Rx
As most of you might have noticed the nRF2401+ modules comes in all shape and layouts. Please notice that the 1.27mm pin headers have different pin outs between the boards.
SMD nRF24.jpg
With this in hand....
20210709_171240.jpg
20210709_171920.jpg
Here is what I use in my Rx, the one w/o antenna whip is for pure small models and I consider it a low range/ park flier Rx as the antenna could be shielded by the main PCB but in trials I haven't seen any issues despite all my attempts.
The one with the antenna whip, nRF24 + PA, has been test flown in a .60 size model.
The Rx PCB size is 30mm x 20mm and is actually 6 channels.
For my Tx I use mainly the shielded ones as they have shown to be more reliable, please see Phil's amazing work, the work that have given a soul to this Rx.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=971.

Suitable Rx case is on its way!
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Re: Tobe's nRF2401+ Rx

Post by Wayne_H »

Super Tobe!!

I've got your Rx's working happily with my bench Tx, as well as a scratch built Rx - all have been soak tested for 5+ hrs, so test flying is next. Your encoder & the pro-pro brick Rx+2 servos are all programed, but yet to be put into something.

Your right - huge thanks and accolades to Phil. Your stuff is ab-fab too mate ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I have seen more and more 2,4 GHz Rx/manufacturer relying on the internal antenna and labeling them full range Rx pointing out the benefits of not having an antenna whip hanging loos...

To be honest in my tests I haven't seen any negative issues in functionality or range with an internal antenna compared to one with an external whip.

...if anyone would like to test one of "my" Rx with Phil's nRF24 please feel free to PM as I have a few to spare in different configurations / options.
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I'm back, I sure hope you haven't missed me.
In the meantime for whatever reason I found som spare time which open up for the little grey cells to exercise...
So what have I done...I have let my nRF24L01 encoder evolve and this fell out.
I just received a few boards today so after some more testing and if I see the results I hope in I might think to make some more and have them available in a package together with a Rx or 2 at a very sensitive price.

My earlier encoder is now mated with the NRF24L01 as piggyback so it's now a "single unit"
FRONT
FRONT
BACK
BACK
It's a quite compact board, intended to be mounted just by the antenna holder and in most transmitter it would fit in the middle between the 2 sticks.
This is a 6 channel unit.
One feature , good or bad, is that the stick connectors have the signal in the middle which means that to reverse the pot it's enough to turn the plug 180 deg and re-calibrate.

"" + Ax - ""

The Dip-switch is replaced by pin headers where the top row is signal and the bottom ground so for most features it's jus enough with a jumper
...and yes the buzzer is still there.

What attracts me in some means w/o considering my time spent on the project I have now a complete Tx module/encoder and a couple of full range Rx at a sensitive cost and a lot of fun!
Attachments
20211111_191248.jpg
Last edited by Tobe on 14 Nov 2021, 15:46, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Hey Tobe,

Looks like a clever evolution of your encoder board.

I especially like:
- the simple reversing of the stick pots by changing the connectors to have the signal in the middle, and
- the integrated RF and encoder boards so you can mount both via the antennae base

I think both are practical features. Well done yet again👏👏👍

I'm definitely in for 3 or 4 (to start with 8-) ) when you are ready.
Cheers,

Wayne
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Here is a preview from KiCad in how I intend it after some more tests on my Beta version.
Channel 1-4 will have a trim pot each to set electrical trims if necessary.
Rates/Expo will be have the option to be set on the 2 lower trim pots alternative are external pots via the 2 pin headers.

D0 has VCC % GND to allow the connection of a regular RF-module if nRF2401+ is not used.
D1....D8 can be set just with a jumper alternative is an external push button or toggle switch.

Size is 56 mmx33 mm, nRF2401+ shielded module fits piggy back on the back as in the pictures of Beta
Attachments
T_Mikro_B.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Here comes a peak to my new GG-Tx project where size matters!

5"x4"x2"
Attachments
20211114_162305.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe wrote: 14 Nov 2021, 15:35 Here comes a peak to my new GG-Tx project where size matters!

5"x4"x2"
Tobe,

You've pre-empted the need I have for 2 GG Tx's that I've been holding off on. One is a conversion, the other a scratch build. I'll be watching this variant closely :shock: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

For you Wayne!
Paint job is awaiting...golden case and instead of MaxiPelle I might go for MiniPelle with a sticker on the back saying "When I grow up I want to be a MaxiPelle "
It has all feature as in the MaxiPelle 3+1 nRF24
Attachments
20211117_171838.jpg
20211117_171439.jpg
20211117_171523.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I gotta get me one of them :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne