Macgregor FHSS Digimac 1+1 project

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
RON
Site Admin

Macgregor FHSS Digimac 1+1 project

Post by RON »

After viewing the Codamac on ITV's The Royal, It spurred me on to dig out an old Digimac 1 I had hidden away in the dreaded Bermuda Triangle cupboard.
I just love the look of the old blue anodised digimacs. After having a quick chat with Phil I decided I was to convert it to a FHSS Digimac 1 plus 1 system. The Digimac 1 without the plus 1 is great but definitely lacks the functionality of having a throttle, So the plus one it was going to be.
My method is to use that green perfboard stuff, not sure of the correct name but I just like the way you can place your components anywhere you like and just wire them underneath. Everything is mounted on this pcb including the RF module, 3v3 regulator and buzzer.
Jst-Xh sockets were used for the stick pot and throttle switch.I designed a 3d printed tray for the pcb to screw to, keeps it neat.
Transmitter is now complete,
The only thing I'm not 100% happy with is the push button switch, its slightly smaller than the original type used on the plus one, if anyone has a spare, it would be very much appreciated.

I decided to model the receiver on the blue plastic type Macgregor receivers, think they are the "A" series versions. The case is 3D printed in Blue with a screw on bottom. Separate fly leads were required for the servo outputs so I made these up with fresh twisted wire and Dupont connectors going through 6mm rubber grommets.

To finish it off I 3D printed a period battery case in black with fly lead output. Inside it's fitted with a 1s 550ma battery.

Many thanks to Phil for help with the FHSS 1 plus 1 sketch. Im super pleased with how its turned out and is a really useful edition to the collection.
Don't you just love bringing 50 year old sets back to life.
Now for the retail box!!!! :D

Here are so photos of the finished project
tempImageX4j3te.gif
tempImageE0Uq3B.gif
tempImagey8OfpN.gif
tempImageYturoI.gif
tempImageCs1Jgq.gif
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Shaun

Re: Macgregor FHSS Digimac 1+1 project

Post by Shaun »

Another cracking job Ron. 👍
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Neater than any Macgregor I've seen Ron!

If anyone is still interested in the NRF FHSS system, the sketch is a merge of the "Digispark 1+1 Mk3" and the FHSS NRF24 Propo project.
Receivers are exactly as per the FHSS thread and the 1+1 transmitter mostly follows the FHSS PDF document.
Here's the 1+1 transmitter sketch:
Attachments
Digimac_1_plus_1_mk3_FHSS.ino
(9 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Phil_G wrote: 28 Mar 2024, 13:30 ......., the sketch is a merge of the "Digispark 1+1 Mk3" and the FHSS NRF24 Propo Pproject .
Me thinks I shall need to upgrade my MacGregor!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Great job Ron - that looks superb. I love those wee blue anodised sets too.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

So I said I would make a retail box for this wee Mac, Hope you all like it

Here goes.
The inner box is laser cut from ordinary brown cardboard, designed in affinity designer,
Outer box was a different story, Its made from Daler Rowney blue photo mount card and laser engraved with the text and logo to around 0.4mm so it shows the cream colour underneath. The tongue and groove is designed from a website called
https://www.makercase.com. You just enter the dimensions, fairly straight forward.
I added the little sticker on the end cheek as per original image took from google images, also cut a semi circle as a thumb slot.
In my opinion, the box is nearly as important as the radio inside it, Just gives it 100% finished feeling, also acts as a dust cover when not in use.
Probably as good if not better than buying a brand new 1+1 from a model shop in late 60's, which I could never of afforded.

Here some pics of the finished box
tempImagefXqxxR.gif
tempImagehL6qnf.gif
tempImage1e99uZ.gif
tempImageDqPFSO.gif
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire