The 'new' 2018 DIY-more "Strong" PCB

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
jmendoza

Re: The 'new' 2018 DIY-more PCB

Post by jmendoza »

Scott and Phil,
I have both versions of the board now, the 8 MHz 3.3 volt, and the 16MHz 5 volt. I got stung several times by having the voltage jumper in the wrong position, and/or the wrong type of board selected in the Arduino menu.

One problem I could not figure out initially was very little throw, because I programmed a 5 volt version at the the 3.3 volt settings. That took me a few hours of fiddling to figure out, and it was complicated by the fact that I had another Arduino that was correctly programmed and worked, so that threw me off for a while.

Serves me right for not checking with Phil first on these boards before ordering them. As it turns out, both versions (8MHz/ 3.3v and 16MHz/ 5v) both work fine IF I get the settings correct on the programmer and the Arduino menu. Thank goodness Phil convinced me to set the 3.3v versions aside as I was going to toss them. From now on however, I will only use the 16MHz 5v versions to keep things simple and avoid mistakes.

I cannot detect any operational differences, both versions of these boards work identically.

So far I have done a Logictrol Champion 5, a Kraft Sport series 5, and the RS 2 channel. Otto came by and we did four of his Krafts, which cleaned me out of the Pro Mini-Strong boards.

Next on my list is one of those little Orbit 3 channel Mk III compact units, I'll set it up for my other Hobie Hawk.
After that, one of my Heathkit Digital 5 transmitters will get the Phil G treatment. I also have Kraft and Controlaire 10 channel reed systems; these take a lot of time to restore, especially the airborne and reed servos (Anco and Bonner), so they are going to become Reeduinos.
Scott Todd

Re: The 'new' 2018 DIY-more PCB

Post by Scott Todd »

Thanks Jay. I think I had both versions working last week before I took off on a trip. I only have two of the 3.3 versions. Ill stick to the 5v 16 mHz ones too.

Ive done a Kraft/Tower 3, Futaba 3EG, Futaba 3EGX. Two Futaba 3G's, Hobby Shack 2, and a Hobby Shack 6. I have two Krafts, an Ace SS, and RS3, cleaned and restored with all the switches and pots added waiting for Encoders.

Ill bring some to Katie to share :)