A full NRF24L01 FHSS Single Channel outfit :-)

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
F2B

Re: A full NRF24L01 FHSS Single Channel outfit :-)

Post by F2B »

Great! :D
F2B or not to be....
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I finally got around to making one of Phil's FHSS 4 ch. encoders & matching decoder - after some fault finding it was all working well :D .

Then, while on a roll, I made a S/C encoder to run with my existing 4ch Rx. My first attempt used a 3.3v Pro-Mini. It worked but with a few strange (to me at least :o ) "quirks":
1) The flashing LED which should blink every 20 packets, was blinking very slowly - about 1Hz. Also, the rudder servo had a jerking movement.
2) next, I made another Encoder using a DIY More Strong 5v board - same result
3) tried both shielded and original high power NRF24L01+ boards - no change, no improvement!?!

I made this short vide to demonstrate the "quirks":
The

If Phil, or any of our other brainiacs, can offer a solution then I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance gang.
Last edited by Wayne_H on 28 Jun 2021, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

It looks to me like the clock frequency is not set properly so everything goes at half speed....
Cheers,

Tobe
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

My first thought also...end of first paragraph.

https://www.arduino.cc/en/pmwiki.php?n= ... rdProMini
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Success!! :D

After lots of email discussions with Phil, I went back to the beginning, re-read everything multiple times and then made another encoder, this time using a Nano, and it worked :o . I've tested it successfully with 3 different Rx's - a 4 and a 6 channel of mine (using RF nanos) and one of Tobe's 4 ch versions.

I'll "file" the original for the time being & when I'm feeling up for the challenge, I'll revisit it - I'm wondering which connection I miss identified and/or mis-wired (swapped?).
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

As pointed out, the 3v3 is 8meg whereas the 5v is 16meg.
"DIY more strong" can be either 3v3/8mhz or 5v/16mhz
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Just finished building a Tx using a shielded Keywish NRF. It all worked perfectly first time.
Test flew in my Tomboy yesterday. Had several flights using both the S/C and propo TXs. Great fun!
Thanks Phil for another great project.
Attachments
20230123_152012.jpg
20230121_163116 (1).jpg
20230121_162859 (1).jpg
20230121_162828 (1).jpg
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Brilliant, thank you John :D
Some projects prove to be popular, some dont ... theres been very little feedback on this S/C FHSS project one other than from Frank & Wayne (thanks lads!) so its great to hear that you've built & flown one! Which receiver did you use, a Keywish RF Nano?
I've flown the OS Pixie (previous page) many, many times as Shaun will attest, all slope soaring, what can you say it just works!
Actually the Pixie was an eye-opener for Shaun - when I first completed it he helped me do a ground range-test and was gobsmacked when we ran out of space and could no longer see each other!
A sincere thank you for taking on this project and posting your results John, its very much appreciated and its particularly nice to see some S/C activity here! :D
Have fun
Phil
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Hi Phil
The receiver I'm using is an RF Nano I got off some cheap outfit on Ali Express for about $8 its the one I built for your FHSS propo set last year.
The propo set has done a lot of flying now and has never missed a beat!
Something you might be able to shed some light on. We measured the Rx led flash rate at 7hz using both the propo and S/C tx (Should it be 10Hz)
so loaded the rx code into another RF Nano and hooked up an led. Again with both transmitters we got 7Hz.
It all works 100% so I'm not worried about it. Just wondered if there is a simple explanation?
Any how its retired gentleman's day (Wednesday on this side of the world) tomorrow out at the Club so better charge both sets.
Cheers
John
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

I must second what Phil said,
I have flown my S/C NRF24 sets many, many times in a Schoolboy, Pageboy etc. and never had a problem.
I also use NRF24 in some of my boats, but 6ch multi propo, also never had a problem, and in the only RC car I have, no problem.
Futaba FT5D1.JPG
Pixie28.JPG
Thanks again Phil, it was and still is a great project.
Great work John.

Frank