Frequency hopping experiments on the NRF24

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Phil_G

Re: Frequency hopping experiments on the NRF24

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Martin, I expect 'mileage may vary' but I tried this and found no improvement in range - the RF Nano aerial must be really well designed! I also tried whiskers on a "+PA+LNA" receiver and again the range was unchanged. However I like the idea of the extra 'presence' of whiskers - they're a bigger target if you like. Whilst the range might not benefit, shielding and 'end-on' situations should be improved, so I think its a good idea. Modifying the "+PA+LNA" ones is easier, once you get the SMA connector out :D
Attachments
IMG_20200705_225242_884.JPG
IMG_20200705_230030_274.JPG
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I knocked up an ISP adapter board for the RFNano so I could program with my USBasp.
wiring details
wiring details
RFNANO ISP_1.jpg
RFNANO ISP_2.jpg
I joined the GND pins together because I had a previous problem with a normal Nano not working properly until I had joined the GND pins.
I joined the GND pins together because I had a previous problem with a normal Nano not working properly until I had joined the GND pins.
It's a bit rough, but hey, it works!!
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Phil_G wrote: 20 Nov 2020, 15:13 Vero is easier!

viewtopic.php?p=5124#p5124
So it is, and neater too, but there must have been that Yorkshire frugality channeling to me, 'cause I used the cheaper proto board
that I already had ;) :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

RF Nanos from Keywish

Post by Phil_G »

Just an update to say that Keywish appear to have solved the not-plus problem with their RF-Nanos.
I've ordered at least 30 since, in batches of 5 or 10, all have tested fine as 'plus' versions. James has ordered a few too, all tested 'plus'.
This is the link I'm using: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298079 ... 4c4drMYPpw , you have to choose 'colour' as the unsoldered RF-Nano. The last batch arrived just now, Christmas Eve! thats just 6 days - a record!

"plus or notplus" test attached again below.

Edit: another batch arrived today, new years eve - all plusses.

James (of S&T) sent me a new type of RF-Nano from Keywish to test after he tried it and suspected it to be another not-plus fail.
The key (ha!) thing with this new one is that it has a u.fl connector so you can plug-in a real aerial or pigtail, ideal for receivers.
I first confirmed that it didnt work as expected, then traced it under the microscope and found that Keywish have yet again moved the CE and CSN pins. For anyone using this specific RF-Nano (the one with the u.fl) the setup line is:

RF24 radio(9, 10); // CE & CSN pins on the Keywish RF-Nano with u.fl

The good news (besides the u.fl which is brilliant!) is that it IS a plus variant so will do 250kbps:

IMG_20210113_201620.jpg

See the u.fl connector in the top-right corner?

Cheers
Phil
Attachments
isplus.ino
(917 Bytes) Downloaded 138 times
Sparky1phillip

Post by Sparky1phillip »

Hi Phill, I hope you are keeping well. I just received an rf nano - brand new with no usb operation. After two days of head scratching ( it is identicle to one I already have that is working)so I decided to have a closer look at the usb chip underneath the board (CH340G) of course. it seemed to have been fitted a bit on a bit wonky. One side was a bit high. I pulled at the pins carefully and what do you know they lifted! After pushing down and resoldering with a fine tip soldering iron (antex) problem solved. If anyone else has some of these that don't get recognised by the computer usb port It might be worth checking the chip pins. Kindest regards (wiggles)
Martin

Post by Martin »

Usually with these on-board antenna, plus external antenna connector boards, you have to move a little surface mount link from one position to another to switch options. Is that the case with this one?
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Martin, yes its a zero ohm SMT resistor, its quite tiny so a bit fiddly to change even with my finest bit:

IMG_20210114_002242.jpg
As supplied, connected to PCB aerial

IMG_20210114_143029.jpg
tiny SMT link moved to the u.fl connector
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Attachments
Martins.JPG
Cheers,

Tobe
Martin

Post by Martin »

It wouldn't be the first. I actually bought one of the Lantian copies with my own hard-earned cash. We don't really expect to be paid for these designs, but it would be nice to get a bit of acknowledgement and maybe a free sample when they make a fresh copy!
James

Post by James »

Well my first posting, finally I have put together a NRF24 Tx. Made from a shortcake tin and therefore I describe as a novelty strange you may think but Alan, old friend going back to when I was a member of Raynes Park MAC prior, 15 years ago, to moving to Dorset mentioned that tins were used in the 50's and early 60's for homebuilt radios the most chosen tin being an OXO.
I've not yet made the Rx that'll be hopefully in next day or two but I switched on with one of Martin's scanners adjacent and all seems to be working.
Power is from a two cell Li-on 700mah from Component Shop. I included a 250mah in line fuse not sure if its necessary or a good thing but as I had a few thought I'd use. The sticks from Ali Express sold as Taranis spares, guess they'll work. Haven't bothered with trims as I will use in a FF model which will be trimmed out the RC just to keep it within eye sight and of course land at my feet or at least the same field. So 4 channel with button for stick centring and another for time count down. Use will tell me if I need to add anything.
Attachments
Screenshot - 02_02_2021 , 15_03_57.jpg
Screenshot - 02_02_2021 , 15_03_26.jpg
Screenshot - 02_02_2021 , 15_02_40.jpg