Boards for Nano, RF-Nano or Promini

Any old or new electronic projects on the go
Phil_G

Boards for Nano, RF-Nano or Promini

Post by Phil_G »

Anyone remember these horrible screw-terminal Nano boards?
Well I dont recall it being an option back then but now you can buy them unsoldered - throw away the screw terminals and you have a nice neat plug-in backboard for a Nano or an RF-Nano. They're twopence-ha'penny each from ebay. The Promini will also fit, if you ignore the silkscreen annotation...

IMG_20200607_131908_745.JPG
Tobe

Re: Boards for Nano, RF-Nano or Promini

Post by Tobe »

Got in the mail a few of this today, good or bad?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001042261846.html
Attachments
20200610_221241.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Martin

Post by Martin »

According to the Ali Express page, the RF chip is the nRF24L01, and not the nRF24L01+

I think the version without the + can't do the lower 250kbps data rate. Both versions can work at 1Mbps or 2Mbps, but the + version also has the extra lower rate.

Unfortunately, for our R/C work where we want maximum range and aren't transmitting a huge bandwidth, the slower data rate, which only the + chip can do, is the most useful.

The Ali Express page may not be accurate and you may get the + chips anyway? But if that is a photo you took, I can't see the + written on your chips. They are super cheap though and still useful. Even if you don't want to use the wireless part at all, they're still cheaper than most ordinary non-wireless nanos.
WernerL

Post by WernerL »

The picture shows indeed an nRF24L01, not the + version.

The chip date code is 2008! That must have sat in a warehouse for a long time...
nrf24l01p-markings-from-datasheet.jpg
The board has two voltage regulators: a 5V one for the Atmel chip and a 3.3V for the nRF24. The 3.3V is derived form the 5V, so the 5V regulator has to handle the current of both the Atmel MCU and the nRF24.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

They are indeed the one w/o the + and was ordered by one of our software guys for some testing equipment/playing around as they are working on communications between products/short distance. I got a few from him and was thinking/hoping to use them indoor and/or in Martins 2,4 GHz "sniffer-scanner" or similar concepts.
Cheers,

Tobe
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

They will work fine for the scanner Tobe, it only looks for a carrier.
All my RF-Nanos to date have been the Keywish ones, I've not seen any 'clones' yet.
I have some more on the way, I hope they're plusses!

'Keywish' RF-Nanos are definitely plusses:

IMG_20200611_141259_673.JPG