Ikarus piccolo

Here’s one for Pete
Retro helicopters
Rogall

Ikarus piccolo

Post by Rogall »

Hi
Although a helicopter novice, mainly Blade and Syma copters flown indoors. I have became obsessed with Ikarus Piccolo helicopters. This was the result of a series of articles in the much missed "Model Helicopter World", small rotors column by I think Nigel Cartright. He mentioned a replacement scale body based on the AH-1 Cobra which was a PDF file of a number of card pages to cut out and assemble, it's still available from http://www.modeltek.com/helihome.html ( usual desclaimer no personal connection). Being a card modeller, thought that's for me so bought it and then cart after horse set about acquiring the helicopter to go with it! The Piccolo came out in about 1990 so not easy to get hold off. However I have now got enough bits for about two and half choppers.
So is there anyone with experience of the Piccolo on the forum who could advise on a modern replacement for the original Picoboard, this is the combined RX, Gyro and ESC's on 35 Mhz. I want to convert to 2.4Ghz and want a good gyro system to help my poor flying skills!
Thanks
Roger
Martin

Re: Ikarus piccolo

Post by Martin »

I've got one which I've had from new. They were very expensive when they came out - you just got a cardboard box "carrying case" containing a few small bits of injection moulded plastic, the motors and simple chassis, plus the clever electronics board. Mine cost over three hundred pounds, I seem to remember, but everyone was amazed that such a small RC Helicopter was even possible - this was in the days of brushed motors and NiCad batteries.

I spent a summer instructing at the RC Hotel in Corfu in 2001, and took the Piccolo there. Kevin Newton made a great video that year, and included a clip of me flying the Piccolo over the swimming pool during one late night drinking session. I did a touch-and-go on the water! :shock: and then flew between the poles that held up the bridge that crossed the pool. I've extracted the clip from an old VHS tape Kevin sent me, and uploaded it to YouTube. No audio, because I'm sure the music Kevin had dubbed on the tape (Roam by the B52s) would invite a YouTube copyright strike. You'll have to imagine the drunken shouts of, "Come on Martin! You can do it!"

You can also see on the pool, a "Ready" trainer on floats. We were using that type of plane as the main trainer at the RC hotel that year. We had about five of them in flying condition at any one time (glow powered). The one on the pool was no longer airworthy, but we'd put an electric motor in it and made it into a pool toy! Fun times.

I've not flown my Piccolo for years now. I guess I should try it out with a 2-cell LiPo.
Twitcher

Post by Twitcher »

Hi Roger

I'm a bit late with this but I've only just spotted your post from last October!

About seven or eight years ago I developed a sudden obsession with the Piccolo. Found one and flew it quite a bit. It was fun and sufficiently different from the normal collective pitch helis I was flying at the time to be quite absorbing. One amusing weakness though, was the feeble head-retention plastic moulding. Flying it mainly indoors, it would regularly ping the rotor head off in mid-air. There wasn't much energy in the rotors (the rotation speed was quite low) so there was never any damage to the rest of the airframe or to onlookers, so it was a bit of a laugh really!

It's still out in the hangar. I must drag it out and give a whirl. Flies on a little B/L motor and a 3S 800 MAh LiPo, with a cheepo gyro to smooth things out.

Did you get yours flying okay? If you'd like some details and photos of mine, just say.

Cheers, David
Rogall

Post by Rogall »

Hi David
Thanks for your interest
No I'm no further on with the piccolo, wife's illness now thankfully resolved, has taken all my time until now. So starting to think about projects again so your post is very timely.

I have no problem with the hardware side of the build just advise on modern replacement for the picoboard. Initially I'd like to keep the original brushed motors, got lots of spares, but go 2.4ghz and lipo. So any info and advise you can give will be gratefully received.
Cheers
Roger