Oldie starting again

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
alect

Oldie starting again

Post by alect »

Hi everybody

I have just found this forum, seem like my sort of interest

My name is Alec, living in Blackburn Lancashire, I have been on the periphery of RC since the early 1970's, my first radio set was MRC, remember those?
moved onto Skyleader then Futaba Gold.
However life and work always managed to get in the way so I had big gaps in my interest, now aged nearly 71 I finally retired (at the 3rd attempt) in September this year, I can now spend the time (to keep me from getting bored!) with some building. I intend to go on a nostalgia trip revisiting some of my favorite projects and some that I never completed, but will do so now.
I have been planning for a while so have collected a range of tools and I have also been collecting job lots of balsa whenever I have seen them come up for sale.
First on the board is one of my favorites a David Boddington Centurion, a bit like a larger Super 60, I have made quite a bit of progress over the last few weeks and I have a few pictures so I may post those on here when I have sorted them into some sort of order.
Tobe

Re: Oldie starting again

Post by Tobe »

Welcome onboard Alec, I'm sure you will enjoy the forum and not least the camaraderie here. We will be looking forward to follow your progress in words, pictures (please try to keep them under 1 MiB), and maybe attendance to the next year Ponte.

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
alect

Post by alect »

Searching for pics of my first Centurion in some old photo albums I found these, taken at Pleasington in about 1999, (lost a lot of weight since then!)
It flew so well which is why I want another. Passed my 'A' in that one.
PA200051.JPG
PA200053.JPG
And from the garden at our old house in Blackburn
PA200055.JPG
PA200052.JPG
My next nostalgia revisit will be this one, a GiGI 36'' biplane
PA200056.JPG
Coxfledgling

Post by Coxfledgling »

Hi Alec,

I am sure you know of the up to date "requirements" needed for model flying these days, quite different from the old days, even the 90's.

Enjoy, and think about slope soaring...
alect

Post by alect »

Yes, fully aware of the new requirements, I have rejoined the BMFA, done the reading up on Article 16 and passed the test and now in possession of operator and flyer ID's.
I do need to join a local flying club, the Blackburn club flys at Pleasington literally 2 mins from my house, but there has been no activity there for some time so not sure if it still operating, the website appears almost dead, so I need to contact someone in the know to find out what is going on or find another club, no hurry will not be doing any flying until spring of next year.