Hello there - new arrival at Mode Zero

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
leccyflyer

Hello there - new arrival at Mode Zero

Post by leccyflyer »

Hello folks

Thanks for the access to the Mode Zero Forum. I became aware of the forum as a result of a link on another forum and thought that looks like fun.

My single channel experience was very short and unsuccessful in the early seventies, courtesy of a couple of Kiel Kraft models - the Outlaw and Mini Super, which spent a total time in the air of less than 10 seconds. In a familiar story I then had a long break from aeromodelling, returning some twenty years later, with more success learning to fly four channel, glow power, before making the transition to fully electric about 20 years ago.

A couple of things have transpired in recent times which makes belonging to this community make sense. Firstly an online thread made me examine those early attempts and as a result I obtained a plan for the Outlaw and already had a Mini Super kit and a pair of PAW diesels, with a thought to have another try of those classic designs. A bit later I was gifted some rather nice period diesel engines, which resulted in me getting some fuel with the aim of getting those running again.

In the meantime I'd been looking for what seems like ages for an example of the Gem 1+1 set, which I had from Roland Scott's in Walkden all those years ago. I've seen the single channel GEM transmitter on this forum and a Mainstream Gem 1+1 set also featured in this forum, but my strong recollection of my Gem 1+1 set was of a much more square box, with the rudder control stick a plastic moulding with a heavily serrated top, rather than the slender stick featured in the example featured here.

I'd really like to get a KK Outlaw in the air and see a number of options for that. One of those options would be in the original single channel on rudder and blip-blip throttle afforded by the Gem 1+1 set.

I'm sure that I'm going to enjoy browsing through this forum and that there's a lot to learn.

Best regards

Brian
Wayne_H

Re: Hello there - new arrival at Mode Zero

Post by Wayne_H »

Welcome Brian ;)

There is a huge knowledge pool here on MZ so if you need help, peruse the forum (I recommend the search function) first. Then If you're still seeking info, just shout.

Please keep us posted on your progress with the Outlaw & Mini Super
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Brian, 1+1 is a really pleasant way to fly, the same encoder has been used in Macgregor Digimacs, Gems, Simprops, Waltrons, Ace, all one plus ones... my favourite model for Old Warden is my 1+1 Vic Smeed 'Poppet' :)
It's an easy conversion too.
Cheers
Phil
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Thanks gents - this place certainly is the font of all knowledge on vintage radio control.

I've found the threads on the Gem 1+1 and my memory of the wee cream-coloured box that my transmitter was in looked very like the Simprop version, but the control stick was different -a flat plastic stick with a serrated edge where your thumb would be- sort of like an enlarged trim lever. I've never been able to find a picture to confirm that.

The Digimac 1+1 was the more desirable set, but the Gem was all I could get on my budget. The guys who flew on the same bit of wasteland had those very plasticky Gem 4 sets - all courtesy of Roland Scott's shop in Walkden. Happy days. :)
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Good to have you onboard and sure hope you will share with us your progress.
As you browse around the forum you will find many option for the DIY both as encoders, complete systems ....
I'm guilty for the
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1533
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1676
and
a few more.
Below is a picture of my DIY 1+1 with custom encoder/nRF24L01 based on Phil_g's work.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=971&hilit=lockdown
20230531_195122.jpg
20230531_200156.jpg
As single channel I fly mostly GG so this Tx has also when matched up with my actuator and Rx will have Rudder, Throttle and variable rate on the flappin actuator.
A version of this is flown by Al Clark, a good friend to me in his 1/2 Tone

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1533&p=13946#p13946

The options are out there just pick what suites you best, sure hope to see you at Ponte
Once again, welcome onboard
Cheers Brian,

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Thanks Tobe - that's very impressive and using the modern 3D printing technology to emulate those transmitters of old is brilliant.

I doubt I'll ever find an original one of those elusive boxy Gem 1+1 transmitters, but being able to replicate the box, with completely new internals would be a suitable compromise, I would need to work on my 3D design skills, which are pretty rudimentary at the moment, though my printer is quite well dialled in.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Brian,
Most printing files are on the forum just to download as a referens to the necessary hardware as pots, springs and dowel pins. What you see here is the tip of an iceberg in developing.
I'm not sure if I published the single channel stick but will do it later today with a review of the side cheeks and accessories like antenna holder. Printing instructions are found under the Mode Zero Stick but basically I print in ABS, 0.09 layers with supports and 85% infill and the reason is not only a better mechanical quality but also that steel pins and so on can be secured with a drop of CA.
I have no knowledge how handy you are and what resources you have available but I you need I might have a set of printed parts to which I can set together a set of the necessary hardware
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I have added on the original post about Tx cases the relevant files for R/O
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1676

Remember that they are there to allow you to experiment and tinker so you can get something that suits you, see it as an inspiration to make your own DIY Tx case
Cheers,

Tobe
leccyflyer

Post by leccyflyer »

Thanks Tobe - have just checked out the thread on those transmitter cases and will certainly have a stab at printing something up in the future. I'm comfortable with the mechanics of printing, and my Creality 5 is turning out decent prints, but I'm a raw beginner in terms of CAD- that's one of the projects I have planned for my retirement.

I don't know where to start in terms of building a transmitter or making a 2.4ghz conversion to create a working single channel, or 1+1 set and that's why I'm here, to learn.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

The .stl files I have included should be ready for the printer. I would start with the Tx case and print the side cheeks and experimenting and follow with the R/O stick which is very basic.
If able, print with a raft for the most even result.
If you go to the Quickie Ghost there is a simple GG actuator with instructions to build it included the recoder from standard Arduino boards which could be a good start with the electronics....but you have also the plan B, get the necessary boards from Phil.
My custom electronics as Tx and Rx with nRF24L01 in accordance with Phil's work and actuator recoder are also available.
If you are going to attend Ponte you will see them in action as there are a few flying with them
Cheers,

Tobe