starting from scratch

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
piroflip

starting from scratch

Post by piroflip »

hi guys and thankyou for accepting me as a member.

I have a mint RCS Guidance System S/C trannie that my late dad bought over fifty years ago.

It means far too much to me nostalgically to convert to 2.4ghz.

I have not had time to do much research but are there any S/C radios available to buy?

My plan is to build a Keil Kraft MiniSuper (I had one in 1973) and begin flying S/C again.

Any help and advice would be greatly welcome.
PaulJ

Re: starting from scratch

Post by PaulJ »

Welcome to the forum........ There is so much room in the Guidance System case that you can leave the old electronics in place and convert your set to 2.4 without having to modify it in any way other that taking the battery out and disconnecting the switch and resoldering it into the new battery circuit.....
IMG_0979.JPG
At the time I converted mine, the only Tx module I could get was the JR one you see in the picture so I had to install that small bracket to mount it on but if you are prepared to wait, smaller, more easily mounted Tx modules are available and that bit of the installation wouldn't be necessary. I also drilled a small hole up through the antenna mount and fed the 2.4Ghz antenna up though it. That way the "real" antenna is hidden within the frequency pennant and you get to keep the old 27MHz antenna and you can kid yourself that you are really flying on 27Megs!

You definitely won't spoil your Dad's set and "nostalgically" I am sure he would rather see you using it!

Paul
piroflip

Re: starting from scratch

Post by piroflip »

many thanks for the info.
yes, it would be fantastic to use dad's old trannie.

however,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i'm a total duffer at such things and would be unable to do the work myself.