New England USA KNOBBY Radio Lover here...

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
Bader's Briar

New England USA KNOBBY Radio Lover here...

Post by Bader's Briar »

Dear Mode-Zero Members:

Bader's Briar here. and I just made my first reply here at Mode Zero...appropriately enough, it's for the type of RC radio I HAVE to use, the "knobby" single-joystick variety, and allows my neurodiverse mind to safely enjoy the hobby that I've been in, off-and-on since 1977, in having all three aerodynamic controls of elevator/aileron/rudder on just one hand, with the throttle channel by itself on the Tx case's side, and not "mechanically" involved in any way with the other trio of "primary" channels at any time.

A good read about how I've got to fly...I've held a USA FCC amateur radio service license since 1978, so building ALL my own single-joystick RC transmitters is just that bit easier.

Glad to have joined up!

Thanks and Yours Sincerely,
Bader's Briar
Wayne_H

Re: New England USA KNOBBY Radio Lover here...

Post by Wayne_H »

G'Day & welcome to Mode Zero - I second Phil's words, we are a friendly mob :D

While I don't (currently) have any 3-axis single stick Tx's, I did do some flying in the '80s with a MRC "cuddle box" Tx. I do, however, have three 2-axis S/S tx's - 2 x Hitec & 1 x EK.

Hmmm ............. could that be another Tx build I hear calling :o :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Heres a rare one I have. It's a SLM prototype, advertised in RCM&E but I believe never went into production so it's a one off....

Not a cuddle box but a very interesting single stick Tx.

Cheers,

Shaun
SLM Single Stick cropped.jpg
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Welcome aboard.

A few years ago I used to race 1/8th scale IC cars at the local Mendip Raceway, we had a member who had a specially adapted Tx to allow him to race with one hand, thinking back I think he used either a Kraft or a specially made Skyleader and the Tx box was yellow.

He was always a lot quicker than me, so whatever it was he was using, it worked. :mrgreen:

Neil
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Shaun wrote: 29 May 2019, 01:09 Heres a rare one I have. It's a SLM prototype, advertised in RCM&E but I believe never went into production so it's a one off....

Not a cuddle box but a very interesting single stick Tx.

Cheers,

Shaun

SLM Single Stick cropped.jpg
Seeing that picture gave me quite a memory jolt Shaun, and I suspect I know where it came from. Back in the early 1970's my flying buddy John Harrison used to run a little sideline business which he called "JTH Developments". He established a very good relationship with the guy who ran SLM and used to get all his servo mechanics, control sticks and so on from him (can't remember the name but something like Ted Lewsicky sticks in my mind). He and I built three five channel Tx's EXACTLY like the one in the photo, the cases consisted of lengths cut off from a folded alloy channel which John had done as a "foreigner" at Avro's, Woodford where he was an engineer, sized to fit plastic end caps moulded by SLM, fitted with an SLM 3 axis stick and two single axis ones. The electronics were Terry Tippet's 27 Mhz Micron 5. Only difference was that ours were finished in dark grey Hammerite. The third Tx went to a club mate, Brian Manners and all three were used for a good number of years until the 35 MHz band came into being, mine in particular being used extensively in flying thermal soaring contests for about ten years. During this period, as it was sensible to have two transmitters available for contest flying, I acquired John's when he built himself a new Micron 7. I only finally dumped these two Tx's when clearing out prior to moving to France in 2006, wish I hadn't now. I suspect what might have happened is that John gave the SLM guy a spare length of the folded alloy and he made up the Tx shown to show off his end cap and stick mouldings, but I doubt it was ever commercially marketed.
George
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That's great info. I'll definitely be using that I'm a future column (as long as you have no objection)
If you've any more info on JTH I would appreciate it .

Cheers,

Shaun..
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

No objection at all Shaun. John is sadly no longer with us, but coincidentally his son Neil and partner were staying with us this weekend and it brought back memories of the many happy hours of flying that I enjoyed with John when I took Neil on a couple of outings to our Vayres field. I am sure I have a decent photo of the Tx SOMEWHERE if I can just find it. Incidentally, we didn't refer to them as "cuddle boxes" but we did have a local name for the 3 axis stick with the big rudder knob - "twirtle pole" In the meantime I can offer this low res photo which appears on the plan page for my Vedette on Outerzone showing me launching the Vedette and clutching my Tx (note that the rudder knobs on ours were silver, not black) with John flying in the background. Venue was the Bowstones ridge in Cheshire and, as you can see, it was COLD!
Attachments
MeandJTH.jpg
tedbmoss

Post by tedbmoss »

Here is a picture of my newly acquired Kraft single stick. I built Phil's 7 ch encoder and am converting to 2.4 GHz.
Attachments
Kraft single stick.jpg
WernerL

Post by WernerL »

Awesome, and you got the period correct 'scope to match! CRT scopes rock!

cheers, Werner