Lost Horizons

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Wavemeter

Lost Horizons

Post by Wavemeter »

Two Horizons. One twin stick in red. One single stick in blue. Both with the identical problem. Both generate RF. However when listened to on a Communications receiver they simply squeal. A clue. The red oneWorked for the first second when connected to power but quickly descended into the squeal from a strong digital pulse. I’m wondering if it’s faulty capacitor(s) as I understand these are often needing replacement with age. Or maybe the odd transistor? Most of the transistors are BC108’s . It would be nice to get one of them working again on 27 As I have a nice original receiver and two servos. Otherwise the red one will be converted to 40 and the blue one to 35

Both have identical circuits save for the odd slightly different component. Thanks guys!

Jonathan
Attachments
image.jpg
364A4E6D-607D-44E7-B4D9-86A666AC5F9A.jpg
Reconstituted boy
Phil_G

Re: Lost Horizons

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Jonathan
Theres an extensive support doc written by an ex employee on the Archive page of www.singlechannel.co.uk, item M42
Try powering it from a bench PSU and leaving it switched on overnight, give the electrolytics a chance to reform.
Horizons do sound different as they use a short sync and hence higher frame rate
The blue one was called a 'Chindit' and was (later) also available as a kit. Its usually a red case painted blue, dont scratch it!
They were unreliable back in their day so personally I wouldnt bother, I'd just convert them. You can fit a V8R4 inside the Horizon rx for authenticity!
Cheers
Phil
Attachments
1976-01-Horizon-advert.JPG
Wavemeter

Re: Lost Horizons

Post by Wavemeter »

Thank you Phil. I will check out that report. Conversion looks most likely then as both use the identical circuit board . If they are unreliable .
To be honest the single stick stick quality is rubbish. I need to repair it. Stuart M has a red cased version and I’m sure that will have a Macgregor stick unit which In my opinion is far superior.
My 4 channel Horizon has Macgregor sticks and is one of the earlier versions.

Love that Advert and never knew my single stick was called a ‘Chindit’!

The Chindit will likely have the 2+1 Digispark and Futaba 35 RF

The Twin stick the innards of a Futaba Attack 40 Meg

Jonathan
Reconstituted boy