Post by Pchristy »

^^^^^^ What he says! ;)

--
Pete
Pufango

Re: RCME simpletone. 27 MHz transmitter

Post by Pufango »

Hello lads ,
Success! It’s taken weeks ( not full time was finishing a couple of live steam engines) to find out what was the problem .First I tried a new oscillator coil no luck .changed one of the transistors , a different trimmer. Checked and checked the components. Still no joy ! For some reason the on off switch gave up .Still not working. Had a look on the net see if there were any ideas 💡 Came across a suggestion to check if it was oscillating put the TX next to an AM receiver .So using a transmitter that I new worked success.Must build a FSM) let’s try the simpletone to see if it was oscillating. Didn’t bother with a new switch,just connected the positive wire and left the negative loose. Obviously there was no signal,I just happened to touch one of the caps there was a slight buzz on the AM radio so I continued to prod around . Success I had the illusive tone ! I tuned the coil to get the strongest signal. Set up a rx and escapement. Hurray It works. Now for the embarrassing part . I looked where the negative connection was Guess what there was a duff joint it was hardly noticeable but there it was .so after all that F ing about I had the answer ! Thanks again for all your help I’m now going to get on with my knitting that shouldn’t go wrong or will it ?😂
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Pufango wrote: 16 May 2021, 23:00 ..... Thanks again for all your help I’m now going to get on with my knitting that shouldn’t go wrong or will it ?😂
Don't forget to put a towel on your lap, just in case you drop a stitch :roll: :lol: :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Pufango wrote: 16 May 2021, 23:00 Hello lads ,
Success! It’s taken weeks ( not full time was finishing a couple of live steam engines) to find out what was the problem .First I tried a new oscillator coil no luck .changed one of the transistors , a different trimmer. Checked and checked the components. Still no joy ! For some reason the on off switch gave up .Still not working. Had a look on the net see if there were any ideas 💡 Came across a suggestion to check if it was oscillating put the TX next to an AM receiver .So using a transmitter that I new worked success.Must build a FSM) let’s try the simpletone to see if it was oscillating. Didn’t bother with a new switch,just connected the positive wire and left the negative loose. Obviously there was no signal,I just happened to touch one of the caps there was a slight buzz on the AM radio so I continued to prod around . Success I had the illusive tone ! I tuned the coil to get the strongest signal. Set up a rx and escapement. Hurray It works. Now for the embarrassing part . I looked where the negative connection was Guess what there was a duff joint it was hardly noticeable but there it was .so after all that F ing about I had the answer ! Thanks again for all your help I’m now going to get on with my knitting that shouldn’t go wrong or will it ?😂
I think just about everyone here has had days like that.
One reason for the boot tread marks on my jeans rear end from the quick boot up the khyber (self imposed). :shock: :shock:
Pufango

Post by Pufango »

Thanks Wayne ,glad It’s not just me 🤣🤣
Attachments
AF080470-148C-43B1-9CD6-B82747304C62.jpeg
73658B80-4649-4256-98FF-80EA144E4649.jpeg