Cleaning Vinyl Clad Alloy TX Cases?

Shout here if you need any help!
Maybe you need a plan - just shout
Mike_K

Re: Cleaning Vinyl Clad Alloy TX Cases?

Post by Mike_K »

Just don't use methylated spirits (or what ever it's called around the world, red spirit, rubbing alcohol etc) on Futaba transmitters with vinyl clad beige cases, such as Futaba M4/M6 (FP-T4FN/FP-T6FN) or similar, as it removes some of the colour and you finish with a bleached look transmitter. Even uPVC window frame cleaner (which is brilliant on most cases) removes some of the colour.

You can get a water based "mountain bike cleaner" from bike shops or Halfords and it works really well on all transmitters with an old tooth brush, or even better with an ultra sonic cleaner. It even works really well on oily models and will take off castor or synthetic oil residue.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

This is a homegrown Kiwi product that is supposed to be available in some other countries.
30sec_degreaser.jpg
It sounds similar to the water based "mountain bike cleaner" Mike described.

It really does work well, especially when used with a toothbrush. Cleanup is with water.
Sankyo Tx before
Sankyo Tx before
Sankyo Tx after
Sankyo Tx after
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

That's come up well ..
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Hi.
Not able to source something equivalent "water based" and have an old futaba I want to clean .

Can someone point me something from ebay that is within Europe or near ( not necesarily EU )
Thanks in advance.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I've found that most vinyl class transmitter cases clean well with mountain bike cleaner, it's water based, bio friendly and bio degradable, so quite safe to use and easily available from bike shops (such as Halfords in the UK). Use it with a nylon scrubbing brush or old toothbrush for harder to access parts, just rinse off with water and dry.

What ever you do don't clean beige coloured vinyl class Futaba transmitters with alcohol, such as methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol or similar, it removes the colour of the case, you finish with a light coloured transmitter, not with the original look at all.
Rafael

Post by Rafael »

Thanks !
jmp_blackfoot

Post by jmp_blackfoot »

I've had excellent results with just a wet Mr. Clean Magic eraser.
It has worked fine on Kraft, Ace Olympic and Silver seven, vintage Futaba and even Heathkit blue paint.